American Relations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
The Canadian thread gave me this idea. Now excepting the whole Iraq thing that has not been good for America's relations, from everyone's points of view, which countries like Americans and which countries hate Americans?

From my time in the Navy and the countries I have seen I'll provide what it seemed like to me:

England- They feel about Americans like an embarrassing relative visiting from the trailer park. Yeah, they're distant relatives, but for God's sake don't let the neighbors see.

France- Do the Frence like anyone? Definetly not the US.

Spain- This is a hard one. I didn't seem to notice anything either way. They just treated us like any old tourist.

Italy- As long as we were spending money they were nice. But they had this look, ya know. I don't think they care for the US too much.

Turkey- That was impossible to tell. They were working too hard selling you anything and everything they could get their hands on. Sometimes I still wake up with the sound "My friend! My friend!" ringing in my ears.

Greece- They were too busy hating the Turks to even notice that there was a new country around.

Israel- Love Americans. Great people and my God you should see the young girls walking around in fatigues with machine guns on their backs. Beautiful people and very nice.

Malta- A bunch of Americans at this point will say, "Malta? Where the h*ll is that? Is that even a country?". I was told it was. They seemed nice. Just a polite people.

Australia- Everytime I ran into any australians it was like we were first cousins that had all just turned 21 and were ready to hit the bars. I can't think of them without grinning. They love American Blokes.

Bahrain- Totally ignored by the populous. Take that any way you will.

What does everyone else think?

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Originally posted by Watcher74

England- They feel about Americans like an embarrassing relative visiting from the trailer park. Yeah, they're distant relatives, but for God's sake don't let the neighbors see.

Not what I've seen. Well, read at a UK site. There were several attacks, not only on our Government, but on our 'American Attitude'.

1. We attack our own government, so seeing their opinion on that was no surprise.

2. Their media gives them an image of us. They take that image and place it on majority of Americans.

What we tried to explain to them is, what they saw was actually minority of Americans. Now I'll admit, I've seen some of the 'attitude' in some of us, so I know it's true. But still, it's a minority.

One of them personally told me what UKs think of us. He listed so many things that I turned on him and said that's what some of us think of them. Then he complained it's what our media shows that forms our minds. I threw that back at him and he understood what I was getting at. He's gotten to know me pretty well, and I'm actually the first American he's had a friendship with.

Now mind you, I don't watch TV. So I don't allow the media to form my opinion on other people. Well, maybe to an extent with the war and all that.

But I don't assume that if I see a screaming Brit, exploding about our involvement in anything, that it reflects the behaviour and views of all Brits.

Geez ... this could go on for a long time.

Watcher ... interesting thread.

;)

Lila

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
No, no, no. You can't take any websites to factor this in. If someone is going to the trouble of making a website to express their point of view, then they are going to have a strong opinion for or against something.

All my points of view were based on being in the said country and meeting every day people and how they treated me and the other Americans with me.

I'd like to hear from anybody that have been in other countries and what impressions they got from the people there.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
No, no, no. You can't take any websites to factor this in. If someone is going to the trouble of making a website to express their point of view, then they are going to have a strong opinion for or against something.
Then you're not understanding. I never said it was a website just to express strong opinions. Well, not political ones.

These are real people I 'chat' with everyday. One of them for hours, and I mean real talking.

What I just told you about their views is real. So what's the difference?

Now excepting the whole Iraq thing that has not been good for America's relations, from everyone's points of view, which countries like Americans and which countries hate Americans?
Are those not points fo views that I expressed? Heck darling, I'll give you the link to see that particular thread. It is not a political website, but a workshop. This was brought up in a General Discussion.

This was for a research project. And not only were there opinions from UKs, but other nationalities too. Those POVs would answer your question, if you were interested to know from those people themselves, and not Americans trying to say what they 'felt' was their opinions.

Last edited:

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Ok, Lila. Calm down. Let me reword this.

Everyone has certain stereotypes toward other nationalities. And if you are on a forum or chatting online then those ideas or feelings or often expressed. What I was trying to gather was not other nationalities feelings or stereotypes of Americans.

I was wanting to know what impressions Americans got in other countries based on how, they as Americans, were treated. From the way the people interacted with them, the looks they received, visual as well as verbal clues, that generated a consensous on how Americans, as a people, were regarded.

An impression you can't gather by talking to 10, 20, 30 people online. But by walking around a foreign city and interacting with inumerable people in establishments, on the subway, on the sidewalk, etc.

But we could do another thread on here about views of cyberfolks from other countries toward us.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Ok, Lila. Calm down. Let me reword this.

Everyone has certain stereotypes toward other nationalities. And if you are on a forum or chatting online then those ideas or feelings or often expressed. What I was trying to gather was not other nationalities feelings or stereotypes of Americans.
Calm down! Calm Down! I'm stinking calm!
;)

Anyway ... understood.

But we could do another thread on here about views of cyberfolks from other countries toward us.
Wha? You don't want me hijacking your thread? That's no fun!

:(

;)

Lila

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I think every country thinks they are superior. America thinks we are the best, and the same goes for every other country. The same goes for states and territories. Michigan loves to pick on Ohio and visa-versa (for some unknown reason), and many in North Carolina seem to think the folk in South Carolina are "hillbillies" just because they are slightly farther south.

It even goes into Maryland where some folk consider those south of Baltimore to be rednecks. I can’t be for sure, but if I had to make an assumption, I would say we Americans have a big ego jerking our chain around, and it ‘should’ embarrass us.

…And whether any of this is true or not is immaterial. It's ignorant, and close-minded the way much of America acts. Just my thoughts. I’m sure I’ll be flamed for being “anti-American” now. :)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by aquariumfishguy
I think every country thinks they are superior.

I would say we Americans have a big ego jerking our chain around, and it ‘should’ embarrass us.

It's ignorant, and close-minded the way much of America acts.
:eek:

You mean its ignorant and close-minded the way every country acts?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Hmmm.... I suppose, but I have traveled quite a bit, and I haven't seen so much competition between the same country like I have America. I guess many feel that this goes on throughout the whole world, however you'd be suprised how little it goes on in other parts of the world.

Maybe we asked for it, being that we have 50 states and so much land and so much diversity? I'm not sure which... but it does seem to be a big problem here.

I am just one person, and I might be the only one who feels this way at AC. <shrugs>

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
competition in america? you mean like our arguing over the goverment and such?

Your saying that doesnt happen in other countries?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store