I caught crabs!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Urhm....I wasn't sure where to place this question so I decided to put it here.

My family and I spent the afternoon at the beach today and I was catching creatures for my 8 year old daughter. I caught a beautiful jelly fish of some type that we kept for a while in a bucket, but we released it. Later on we caught a good size crab whose body is about half again as big as a half dollar. She wanted to keep it(Even named him Pinchers) so I got suckered in.

I have no idea what type of crab it is but they dig deep holes in the sand 10'-30' from the Ocean.

Only problem is I've never kept any type of crab before.

This is what I have on hand to make a home for him:

10 gallon tank

Duetto 100 power filter that is kept in the main tank so it has nitrifying bacteria in it.

Extra gravel & decorations

Extra heater

Easy access to Ocean water and sandy beaches

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set up a crab shack?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I'd have a couple of concerns about this guy. First did you catch him in the water or on the land? He might not be 100% aquatic and need a place to haul out in order to get some air. Also kind of hard to say what his diet is crabs run the whole spectrum so you might have to try a variety of different foods. Also his tank will need to be cycled I'd just toss in a cocktail shrimp and let it do it's magic :D . He will probably be fine in the 10 gallon until/if he gets too big. Sorry to be vague but, it's hard to say without knowing what it is. You might be careful about roomies for it until you find that one out to.
hth
Chris

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
i wouldnt use a heater.....

the tank will need to be sealed because crabs are climbers

as maxilaria said there sould be somewhere for him to escape the water

i tried to keep crabs i caught at the beach once in a bucket and i found them all over my basement, dead, in various places. they are master escape artists! mind use i was 8 so excuse my stupidity :p

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
I went to eat at a fancy chinese restaurant the other day.
There were live lobsters and crabs on display. The thought crossed my mind on how sweet it would be to have a lobster in a tank at home. But, then it occured to me that i had no clue how to keep one alive and its probably a lot harder than i thought.

BTW

~*LuvMyKribs*~ do you want another clown loach? i noticed you live in Vancouver. I looked at your tank specs and saw you had them. i have my buddies clown in my tank. He needs a home and a friend.

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
Hes about 3.5 inches right now.
He looks like he may be getting a little fin rot though. He always hides behind this piece of slate in my tank (maybe he just scraped his fins). Only comes out at night. Hes been the only clown in my tank for a while now (since i adopted him). I think he'll be much happier with even one other clown.
PM me if you really want him.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store