Question for everyone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JMUHorn99

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2003
Staunton, Va
Visit site
I have a question for everyone. My husband and i recently acquired a 55 gallon freshwater tank. We filled it up and put feeder fish in to make sure that the "real" fish we wanted in there would live. So we went to the local trout farm and bought two 8 inch or so brook trout. We wanted rainbow, because of their higher tolerances to stress, but they didn't have any. Regardless, we've had them for 3 days now, and they won't eat anything. We've tried the almost everything we can think of. Does anyone know why they won't eat?

JMUHorn99

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2003
Staunton, Va
Visit site
What about it being february? I believe it's January. And i assumed that since the fish were from a trout farm, they would be eager to eat, since they are feed on a regular basis there...

TJcanada

AC Members
*chuckling at wetman*

Trout are a "true" coldwater fish... what's the tank temp? And wetmans right - high O2 needs.
It's not uncommon for fish to not eat until they get accustomed to their environment. What made you decide to use trout to cycle your new tank?

JMUHorn99

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2003
Staunton, Va
Visit site
The temperature is settled around 55 degrees or so. And we have a big filter that water pours out of, so I'm assuming the O2 level is ok. This is our first fish tank, and for the record, it was not my idea to put trout in it. I wanted something prettier :)

Is there a way to check the O2 level?

TJcanada

AC Members
Trout need plenty of O2 - water should be fast flowing too(good current)... coldwater is a big factor as well.
I'm sorry but this is not a fish I would have chosen to cycle a tank with. Have you heard of "fishless" cycling? If you do a web search you will find some good info on how it's done - might be a better way to go..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store