Plants not Growing well

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MyShrimpDied

Freddie Freeloader
Jun 2, 2004
Visit site
Im a little confused about why my plants dont seem to be growing as much as i planned. Heres my setup

Recently set up 10gal, Done cycling.
Fine Gravel substrate - nothing special

2 x 15watt flouro bulbs, around 3000k

DIY Co2 - as cheap as you get, 2l bottle and tubing...thats it, i run the tubing into the filter intake as a way of diffusing

Fertilizer - I use Flourish once per week, flourish excel every day, and Flourish iron once per week.

Now i would think with a pretty good set up for live plants that they would be growing very well by now. But they dont seem to be going that crazy. The only real flas i have are the non - 5000k to 7000k lighting, and the cheap Co2 method.

Is they way im diffusing the co2 the right way, just running the tubing into the filter intake? Right now im getting a bubble every 15 to 20 seconds, pretty slow, but it cost me jack didley.

Thanks

~ MyShrimpDied

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Check your kH. Make sure it's over 3.0°H. Then compare with your pH to see what you CO2ppm is.
In a 10gal., you method of injection should be fine, but you probably need a higher bubble rate.
Your K rating is fine for the plants, but is probably very yellow to look at. When you change bulbs, look for 55 - 7000K bulbs.
You have 5 watts/gal. and need to dose N,P & K and Flourish(not Flourish Trace).
You can find sources for inexpensive Macros in out sticky at the top of the page.
Be sure and check the kH of the water!!!

Len

EDIT: The 5 watts/gal. was a typo. Obviously 30 watts is 3 watts/gal.
But the above still applies.

Last edited:

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
You have 5 watts/gal. and need to dose N,P & K and Flourish(not Flourish Trace).
well, I thought 30 watts over a 10 gal was 3 watts per gallon... and if you plants aren't growing like crazy you may not need macros. it's best to test what level you already have before adding something.

I would try adding a trace mixture to your change water. that may help too.

MyShrimpDied

Freddie Freeloader
Jun 2, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, i also just found some 28w 5000k flouro bulbs that im gonna buy, That should help give the plants a very good look.

~ MyShrimpDied

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
another thing, to conserve all the co2 you can, try putting a sponge over your filter output. that will cut the surface agitation way down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store