hippo problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
ok i got a hippo tang that i have had for around 7 to 8 months. about 3 days ago i noticed that its color was kinda fading. i guess the best way to describe it is that it sort of looks like it has marine velvet, which it has had once. but the thing is that when i turn on the lights in the mourning it will be fine. after a couple of hours it goes to the corner of the tank and constantly runs up and down the glass. once the lights go out for just a bit he calms down and color returns to normal.its eating fine all the other fish are fine. i feed it seaweed salad everyday. it also gets flake food or frozen mysis everyday and i feed live shrimp once a week. its a 135 gallon tank. theres the blue tang,yellow tang,2 percula clowns, greenbanded goby,lawnmower blenny,flame scallop,2 cleaner shrimp,alot of herimits, some snails and some corals in the tank. Nitrite=0, Ammonia=0, PH=8.2, Alk=2.2 the only thing that is not doing good is the nitrates, they are around 20-30 ppm, but they always have been. i use tap water and thats what they are straight from the tap. i know you guys are gonna say get ro water and stuff like that so let me save some time. im gonna continue to use tap water. no fish i have ever had has died from doing so. i have some freinds with tanks and they use tap water too and havnt had any troubles. and sorry if anyone takes that as rude. i just dont want to get into the R/O water vs tap water conflict. i really dont think the nitrates are the problem because they have always been there and this has never happened before. hope someone can help and thanks ahead of time.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Does the yellow chase the hippo? Sounds somewhat like a stress thing...Especially since the color is good in the morning, then fades.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
as far as i can tell the tangs get along great. in fact the blue wouldnt even come out from under the rocks untill i put the yellow tang in. they usually sleep in the same hole together. not saying that the yellow might not be swatting the blue when im not around, i just havnt seen it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store