rift lake setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
I want to set up an african cichlid tank in my 115g. These are the fish that I would like to get (don't know most of the genus species names yet, so bear with me):

electric yellow
red empress
1 or more species of peacock

and maybe:
frontosa
venustus

If anybody sees a problem with these fish getting along, please explain.

As for the setup, I've done a little research and apparently, africans like hard, alkaline water. I've also heard of people using crushed coral for substrate, or mixing it with their sand/gravel as a buffer. I'm thinking about doing the mix, but I'm not sure what pH is ideal for the fish I have listed.

The pH out of my tap is about 7.9
After aging overnight it reads about 8.3
Out of the tank it is currently about 7.9

So, what would be a good pH range for my fish? And approximately how much crushed coral should I mix into my tank?

Lastly, I don't understand the water hardness (GH or KH or something?), but I think the hardness has something to do with my aged tap being higher than straight from the tap. Could you please explain how the hardness affects the pH and how to adjust it if need be. Thanks.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Your ph is fine for africans, mine is 7.8 and my fish are thriving.

AS for what fish you picked, frontosa won't mix with the other fish. They get huge and require a different diet then the labs.

The yellow labs, red empress and peacock should be ok. But make sure you pick you peacock wisely(i think A.jacobs are supposed to be a bit more aggresive) as they could get picked on. I had labs, red empress and some ruby red peacocks and i had to remove the peacocks aas they were getting very badly beaten up from the red empress. Not sure about the N.venustus as i havent' kept them but they do get bigger.

IN a 115g i would do

- 8 yellow labs
- 3-4 red empress(1m/2-3f)
- 3-4 peacocks(1m/2-3f)
and maybe a trio of venustus(or a single male).

I wouldnt' suggest adding more then 1 male or the red empress or peacocks as they will fight and the sub dominate male wont' show very good colors. TO have the best colors the males should have females. My red empress colored up amazingly when i added his female.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I"m not one that can explain hardness and such. Hopefully someone will come around soon and help you out. Maybe try posting a new topic about hardness in the general freshwater forum. I have seen it explained and discussed so maybe try doing a search while you wait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store