"No Salt" for potassium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DUCKEEL

Registered Member
Jul 12, 2004
Australia
Visit site
Hey guys,

Ive read the sticky about using "No salt" for potassium supplement.

I happen to have some in the kitchen and it contains :
Potassium,Chloride,Ammonium,Phosphate,Calcium,Magnesium and Sodium?

Im just double checking to see if the one Ive got is safe to use?

Im a bit worried with the ammonium- is this thing like ammonia?

Thanks

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Comes in a white cylinder about 6 inches high and 2.5 inches across?
Says "NoSalt" in green and red letters?
Has three different lid settings: Shake, Closed and Pour?

That's the one you want. Sorry, I can't seem to find an image of it on the Net. :(
It works well. Enjoy!

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I use NuSalt instead of No-Salt.

"Nu-Salt contains potassium chloride, potassium bitartrate, silicon dioxide and natural flavor derived from citrus fruits and honey."

Less extra stuff. I'd check that out if your concerned about some of the other ingredients. Haven't had any trouble with it.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
Ammonium is non toxic
well I wouldn't say that... perhaps it's at a low concentration. add a little to water and use an ammonia test kit to see ifthere is any.

Captain_Obvious

AC Members
Jun 30, 2004
Ft Collins, CO
Visit site
Ammonium is ammonia with an extra hydrogen ion.

NH4+ --> NH3 + H+

In an acidic tank (pH<7) you have ammonium because of all the extra H+ ions floating around. In an alkaline tank (pH>7) you will have ammonia because all of the H+ ions on the ammonium will get stripped off to bind with OH- ions and form water.

Ammonium is not toxic. Put it into a tank with pH>7 and it turns to ammonia and is now toxic.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Aside from the ammonium, are you sure you want all that other stuff and in what sort of ratios? Some folks want to add a lot of that stuff, others not so much.

Seems a little too broad spectrum

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
Everything other than potassium chloride will only be present in very small amounts. IMO you can use it safely, but keep up with your water changes in case you're overdosing (we don't test for potassium). I use NoSalt as well, but mine doesn't have ammonium phoshpate. In any case, I don't see how the proportion of it would be so large that 1/4 to 1/2 tsp would include so much that it would harm your fish. The Ca, Mg and Na will be fine as well. Think of it this way, even if you were adding 1/4 tsp pure NaCl, it wouldn't really change your sodium levels, and what you're adding is mostly just KCl anyway.

Last edited:

DUCKEEL

Registered Member
Jul 12, 2004
Australia
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice and info !

I might go get a new one with no ammonium and other stuff in it just to be safe since I noticed mine has already out of date since 2001.

Thanks again

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Originally posted by DUCKEEL
I might go get a new one with no ammonium and other stuff in it just to be safe since I noticed mine has already out of date since 2001.
Do you mean the salt? I don't think that you have to worry about your salt expiring!:eek: You may just need to add a little extra to compensate for water absorption.

I agree with Starry on the proportions of the other stuff being so low you needn't worry. Besides, if your tank is cycled, it's constantly processing ammonia to nitrate. Any tiny amounts you add through the occasional fert. would have no more effect than a slight increase in in tank ammonia production, say overgenerous feeding one day. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store