Website help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Hey all... let me just start off by posting this message, one I just posted on an html/java script help forum:

Hello,
I am new to Java and to be honest, I do not even know if this is a Java question but I am hoping someone can help me. I have a website, and off to the left I have buttons going down the page for the various sections to my website. Anyway, I wanted to make it so that I have a horizontal menu across the top of my website. I have seen the menus where you put the mouse over the little button and a series of other sub-categories drop down... in which you can click on them.

Can someone show me how to make that, or where I can find info regarding this? A GOOD example of this is on an aquatic website, www.aworldoffish.com.

Notice how he has a drop down menu at the top. Thats what I am wanting to do for my website, to make it more professional looking. Thanks for EVERYONE who helps me!

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Hey watcher, I was thinking more of a menu similar to the one on the link I gave.

It is considered a "dropdown menu", but you shouldn't have to click on it, you should be able to put your mouse over the text, and get a whole bunch of other links.

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
The JavaScript source for the menu used by www.aworldoffish.com is located in the file http://www.aworldoffish.com/scripts/menu.js

It appears to be included in the front page using the following code in the body:

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://www.aworldoffish.com/scripts/menu.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<SCRIPT language=javascript>
document.write(displaymenu);
</SCRIPT>

The first level of the menu uses GIF images rather than all code, so you would need to create your own buttons to use this code without changing more than just the links. You'll probably have an easier time going with one of the examples at dynamicdrive.com since it's documented a little better.

Oh, and just to pick a nit, Java and JavaScript are two very different languages. Using the wrong term could throw off your searches when you're looking for code or help.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
cgrabe is right about java/java script. The reason for the similarity in the name is that Java was already out and a big hit, so the developers of the new language called it "Java Script" to try and ride on their coattails so to speak. There are no other close similarities.

AFG, what do you use to make your website? Are you using Frontpage or something like that?

I can help you out with the coding. With the one from Dynamic Drive all you need to know is a little HTML. And trust me, HTML is pathetically easy to learn.

If you're interested shoot me a PM and I can send you a very, very short tutorial on the basics of html that will be enough for you to make webpages from scratch. And add that code to your site as well as modifying it to your preferences.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I do know HTML, most of my website is html coded, with the exception of just a few images.

I have just never got into some of the finer details of coding. Sorry for throwing you all off, I meant JavaScript -- I think.

Anyway, I knew that Dave from A World of Fish used it (or was pretty sure) and so I thought about it and now want my website to have a similar method to access my pages.

I guess I could consider using the coding suplied on that website... if that's what will be easier. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store