Sand for Corys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

n_crypted

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I recently introduced a pair of bronze corys into my 10gallon tank. It is my understanding that thier whiskers may eventually wear down because my substrate is composed entirely of gravel.

How important/urgent is it for me to replace my gravel or add fine sand for the corys? My gravel is no larger than 1/4 inch in diameter and fairly smooth. Is it practical to have both gravel and sand in the tank?

Thanks in advance.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I use very very small grained gravel for my cories, like 1/16 inch. I also have some 1/4 - 3/8 inch gravel for decoration and to hold down a few plants I have.
If you change your gravel out for 1/16 inch gravel you'll be glad you did it, it is much easier to take care of. I also had some sand 'pools' that I had to take out because it was raising my ph. I may put some back, cories really love to snuffle in sand.
good luck
:)

tyler

safety...
Nov 28, 2002
Fargo, ND
www.angelfire.com
n-crypted, i used a rounded "natural aggregates" gravel with my cories for 2 years. their barrels were long and healthy. silly me went and killed my breeding pair of albino's with a pH swing... oops.

famman, pool filter sand should be inert, and it would look natural with your cories.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store