How many people work in an LFS?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MyShrimpDied

Freddie Freeloader
Jun 2, 2004
Visit site
How many of you guys work in an LFS?

I really want to, that would just about be mine dream job right now, as long as it's fish and not very many other animals, maybe so parrots to keep me company.

There was a job opening at the Pet House near me and i talked to the lady and she said since i'm a sttudent she didnt think i would 'stay at work' when summer ends...what a crock.

~ MyShrimpDied

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
While it would be a good “starter job”, you wouldn’t be able to make a career out of a step above minimum wage, which is why many shy away from it. And suppose the pay was very good, and I did work at a pet store… I would end up getting rid of my own fish, because I’d have so many where I work that it would no longer be fun at home anymore.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
I've been working at a Pet Supplies Plus for 14 months now...

I don't make much money at all, but I love all the people that come in with questions about their fish and their tanks that I get to help out with. Also, I'm sort of a buyer for the company; I'm able to bring in many different brands because the managers of the stores trust that I know what I'm talking about.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
i used to work at one like 6 years ago or so, but that was before i was into fish. i used to take care of all the reptiles and stuff, it was awesome. especially the 2 14 foot burmese pythons we had, i loved those guys :D

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
Originally posted by aquariumfishguy
While it would be a good “starter job”, you wouldn’t be able to make a career out of a step above minimum wage, which is why many shy away from it. And suppose the pay was very good, and I did work at a pet store… I would end up getting rid of my own fish, because I’d have so many where I work that it would no longer be fun at home anymore.
The owner of my lfs would disagree with you. He has beautiful tanks at the store and more at home.

Alicia

Hidden in the Shadows
Nov 15, 2003
DeWitt,IA
Visit site
I used to work at one. I enjoyed it, but I really did hate cleaning the fish tanks EVERYDAY, and having to cleany all the other animal cages everyday too. That got to be a pain. But it was fun getting to see different types of fish and getting to learn about different types of other animal behaviors.

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
HeheH..I remember cleaning the small furry rodents. The co-owner was into Guienea Pigs and we had feeder rats and mice. So I get done cleaning them and move onto the lizzerds..I start with the biggest Gold Tegu we had and next thing ya know..I have a 3 foot long lizzerd hanging from my hand..right betewwen the thumb and forefinger. Inmy haste I had broken the cardinal rule and forgot to wash my hands. Nothing quite like a lizzered bite to brighten your day.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Originally posted by skippy2

The owner of my lfs would disagree with you. He has beautiful tanks at the store and more at home.
Ok, but are we talking about owning your own store now or being a plain old employee? Also, "owners" usually do not have to do all the maintenance like the employees do... but there could be exceptions to that.

Furthermore, I was speaking my opinion. If I (personally) was to clean tanks all day long, I would not want to come home and clean more out. :)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
I think there are better jobs in the aquarium industry than working at a LFS.

JMHO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store