Blood Parrot Qustions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

parrotfish100

AC Members
Feb 22, 2004
California
Soooo... another Cichlid question!:p

Would 2 Blood Parrots do good in a 50 gallon tank? They are my favorite freshwater fish (hence the name). Would they be extremely aggressive towards each other? Today at work, one of our service customers had to bring back their Blood Parrot cause it was killing everything in their tank. The thing was freakin huge!:eek: I take it they lose their color with age? I know they are a hybrid of C. severum and C. labiatum, and I have heard they are injected with color... thats why they come in a variety of colors? Poor fish, thats the only thing that bugs me about them (the color injections):(

RyJ

AC Members
Feb 2, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
Visit site
Yes, a 50 gallon would be good enough.
In terms of them getting along....it is really hard to say. Some Parrot Fish and peaceful...some aren't. Since the fish is a hybrid their temperment varies more. Usually they are more peaceful.

I'll give you an example - at one of the lfs in my city, they have a tank full of young assorted coloured Parrot Fish. All of them are peaceful, except four ...which beat the HELL outta the other ones. So.....good luck :)

parrotfish100

AC Members
Feb 22, 2004
California
Originally posted by Finaddictfred
those things are pathetic..sorry but its a total abomination and should be erradicated
Yeah, whatever. People are entitled to their opinions. I love them because they are very freindly fish, and none of the other fish that I have ever owned, or seen, have been that freindly. They remember their owner, and greet them whenever they see them. Sure, it might just be because they want to eat, but its cool nonetheless.

Thanks for all the help, RyJ

And to Finaddictfred- You should have never posted here. That was irrelevant information, and I don't think that it should be tolerated. I don't know about the rules on this message board, but on the one I more frequently visit (about 3-4 hours a day, depends on the day) this type of thing isn't allowed. You are entitled toy uor opinion, of course, but I think you shouldn't go posting it about in other's topics who's owners need INFORMATION.:mad2

RyJ

AC Members
Feb 2, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by parrotfish100

And to Finaddictfred- You should have never posted here. That was irrelevant information, and I don't think that it should be tolerated. I don't know about the rules on this message board, but on the one I more frequently visit (about 3-4 hours a day, depends on the day) this type of thing isn't allowed. You are entitled toy uor opinion, of course, but I think you shouldn't go posting it about in other's topics who's owners need INFORMATION.:mad2
:) Yup, it's his opinion. Don't worry about it. It wasnt an attack on you - he was just stating what he thought about that fish. Many people feel very strongly against hybrid creations - myself included. But, ur hybrids are still living animals and I wish you luck with them :)

If you do notice aggression, add similar sized tank mates for destraction :)

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA

parrotfish100

AC Members
Feb 22, 2004
California
Well, like RyJ said- it varies from fish to fish.

Sorry about the mean post, it just kinda made me mad:( Oh well. Forgive me?:D

I think I will try it, and if one gets too aggressive, I could always take it back.

Thanks, everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store