My Gourami's are PISSED!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

parrotfish100

AC Members
Feb 22, 2004
California
I have a Kissing Gourami and a Three-Spot Blue Gourami in a tank together... and my Blue finally decided to stand up against the Kissing! My KG has been relentlessly chasing the Blue at night time after feeding for as long as I can remember, and tonight, I looked over, and saw my Blue doing the same Kissing behavior with the KG! They were really going at it with the "kissing", and my Blue's color was a LOT darker and mottled. I had no idea that other Gouramis did this! Is this normal terretorial behavior for other gouramis?

MyShrimpDied

Freddie Freeloader
Jun 2, 2004
Visit site
Are they both male? Male gouramis can be very aggressive towards each other. I hate when my fish fight!

Today my ghost shrimp who is about 2 inches long attacked my betta, it was intense, that shrimp is mean.

~ MyShrimpDied

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Pretty much all gouramis for sale are male. It is rare to find females. They tend to be drab brown in colour for most species.

RyJ

AC Members
Feb 2, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
Visit site
To sex gouramis : (this is much much harder for kissing gouramis) Males are generally larger and have longer and more pointed dorsal and anal fins. Both sexes have the same colouring (the male is slightly more colourful only when the pair is actually breeding). Dwarf gouramis have the less attractive females.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
regardless of the sex kissing gouramis tend to be very aggressive anyways. at least IME anyways, they also get very large and need a pretty big tank. Space could be an issue, what size is the tank?

parrotfish100

AC Members
Feb 22, 2004
California
Heheh... I got this fish back when I was ignorant of tank size (don't yell, I know my mistake :p )... its only a 10 gallon :sad Yeah, thats why its being such a pain in the butt. The BG would be fine, if it was in there by itself.

Mulla

AC Members
May 16, 2003
Australia
Visit site
I'd say that your problems is most likely caused by the small tank size. Personally I've kept 2 male gouramis plus a betta in the same 55G and they are generall peaceful towards each other. I said generall because they do chase each other every now and then but only for a second or 2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store