My convicts's second attempt at breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
My female convict layed her second batch of eggs today. There are more eggs than the first batch it seems. Hopefully this time they will hatch and not fungus like the first eggs did. The two seem to be sharing the responsibility of guarding them this time unlike the last time when the male chased the female away all the time.

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Has anyone else had the eggs all fungus on them the first few times? I've counted seven so far that have fungused. Is there anything I can use to stop the eggs from fungusing? Or do all the eggs fungus because the male hasn't fertilized them?

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
I've had that happen and usually its because they are not fertile. A young male may not get it right. Sometimes the parents are not good and fanning and cleaning them too. It is possible to have an infertile male. Give them a couple of more times. They are still young!

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Yeah, the male still has some orange on his belly, so maybe he just doesn't know what to do yet. More of the eggs have fungused, but they are fanning them like crazy. The male tried to chase the female out of the nest again, but looks like she won the fight and is now happily fanning the eggs while the male stays outside of the pot. The female was kind of pecking at one of the fungused eggs, but I don't think she's sure about eating it. They are doing a lot better together than the first time though.

LongTime

AC Members
May 10, 2004
Florissant, MO
Visit site
I have never seen a male convict with an orange belly, but I did some checking and they are starting to appear. I even read where a person had what he though was a tank full of females until he saw some fry being guarded in a cave. The orange is generally a female trait.

So, either they are still young and trying to figure it out OR he is "shooting blanks."

How large are they?

RyJ

AC Members
Feb 2, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by LongTime
I have never seen a male convict with an orange belly, but I did some checking and they are starting to appear. I even read where a person had what he though was a tank full of females until he saw some fry being guarded in a cave. The orange is generally a female trait.

So, either they are still young and trying to figure it out OR he is "shooting blanks."

How large are they?
lol@ shooting blanks. Ah...sometimes these threads can be kind of amusing...

One of my male convicts has a little bit of orange on his tummy and fins. It's quite attractive. :)
Fish farms will jump at the chance to breed a male with female colouring into their strains...because the more colour the better :)
It'll be nice once we see more and more males like this.

I once saw two Kribs @ a lfs....the male's colouring was EXACLTY like the female's. :eek: :) They had the two of them, with their fry, in a small show tank. Those fry are going to grow up to be very attractive fish :)

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
The male is about 3.5 in. and the female is about 2 in.
I definitely have a male. His anal and dorsal fin trail almost past his caudal fin. There is not a lot of orange on his belly, just a bit. I didn't know what I had until he got larger and his fins started growing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store