Anyone find this odd?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I've perused many of the aquarium specs here at aquaria central and am kinda confused about something.

A lot of people here have tanks set up in their basements and I can understand that. Some people just love keeping fish so much that they keep the extra tanks in a fish room/house/basement for the ones they can't fit into their living spaces even though they never see them except when they are doing something with them.

But I have seen several people that only have aquariums in an out of the way place.

Why would anyone do that? If you were really into fish keeping wouldn't you want at least one display tank where you and guests could see it often?

I keep mine against the same wall as my entertainment center so I can stare at it during commercials or when I'm bored. It's also one of the first things someone sees when they walk through my front door.

I don't think I would ever keep an aquarium if I couldn't put it in one of my normal living areas of my house.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I agree. I wouldn't keep an aquarium in a place that nobody would see it, unless you qualify my bedroom as such a place.

If I was so desperate for space that I would put an aquarium in a "dark corner" that nobody could see, I would move to a bigger place. :D

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
any place you can fit a tank is a good place to put a tank. SO long as its able to handle it. If I had to put one in the bathroom..so be it. But then again my fish room had 38 tanks. Had 6 more that were display tanks throughout the house.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
My tank is in my room. I guess its not really a display tank since im just a poor 14 year old teenager that doesnt have the resources to create a tank good enough to display to everyone that would enter my home. So I guess mine is out of the way for my family, but I get to watch it all of the time.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
i have my fish tanks all somewhat hidden away. I just like focusing on breeding the fish, so I really dont care too much who gets to see them. I spend enough time down there that I dont feel like im missing out by not having it upstairs.

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I know where you're coming from Watcher. My only tank is in my dining room. We never, ever eat in there, but I can see it from the couch in the living room, and as soon as I get home it's the first thing I see.

However, if I had the money, I'd have more tanks... There's only one other spot in the dining room where I could put a tank, and then the next logical spot would be the basement. Trust me, if I had the dough, I'd have tanks down there too, LOL!!!

~Tara

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
well, the reason I had mine in the basement (+ a couple upstairs) is because I was staying with my sister for a while. But I'll be moving into a new place today (until however long it takes to get fully there) so not really sure where the tank is gonna go but I can assure you it won't be in the basement.... I was thinking more like the living room.....

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Consider that multi-tank people may have more than one category of tank.

Pure display: LR -1, DR - 1 (river tank), Home office (3 tanks).

Display, breeding experiments, micro-ecology experiments are all part of the tank room. Eight of those tanks are in a false wall dividing the tank room from the pool room, so are "display" but several are experiments which do not necessarily reduce their display value. The rest of the tank room tanks are utility - experiments, breeding, grow-out, trials of variant systems - and can only be seen inside the room - they may not be set appropriately to be displays. Relationships with spouses and preparation for guests, etc. can be much easier if utility and works-in-progress are out of sight, including masses of electrical cords, open tanks, experiental filters/hoses/other equipment which for access and observation are exposed rather than hidden behind or under tanks - not the place for most guests, children, etc.

If you have a home worshop, I'd assume it is not an L off the LR. Why should utility tanks be any different?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store