Grizzabella, the bell tolls for thee

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Well, I've been dreading the day, but I think that it's come.

My first swordtail, Grizabella, the first mother of my (ever increasing :rolleyes: ) swordtail population, is looking in pretty rough shape.

She survived my 10g fish killing learning experience and my misinformed, bumbling efforts to save the fish I was killing. Never in healthy conditions, she still managed 4 fry, 2 of which I still have, the other 2 were males and so had to be given away.

She overcame a bout with cottonmouth and dropped about 40 fry in the process, all were eaten.

When I moved her to the 33g, she seemed so much better. After a week, she would swim with the others and seemed happy and healthy again. But now she just hides. I think that she's sick again, and I don't think she's getting better.

The other fish know it to, she's become a pariah. They drive her away, nipping at her. Bitey II flares at her whenever he sees her.

I believe that after sticking with me through the roughest of conditions, her time has come. A bucket of icy water awaits her in the next day or so...

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
It's the humane thing to do. I've been considering it for quite a while. After I moved her back from the hospital to the 10g which she shared with the other 2 and a couple cories, she went right back to hiding. But then she seemed revitalized by the bigger, more heavily planted tank. I never thought she'd even make it that far. There's a juvenile that I had figured to take her place. She's definitely earned her place in Valhalla.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
That's too bad. She was a nice looking fish.

My betta is going through ssomething as well. His fins are looking pretty rough and the meds just aren't cutting it. He is still spunky.

I just can't figure how he caught any disease as he has always lived alone for a year and half. I guess some things can hang around in the tank for awhile.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Sorry happy:(

I just lost one of my oldest fish the night before last. I think he (male neon blue dwarf gourami) just developed dropsy. The scales were protruding, though he wasn't swollen. Nothing new in that tank in over a year and everyone else is fine. Sometimes poop just happens:(

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
She was looking even worse when I hunted her down last night, had some kind of white spots along her head. She tried to hide, but didn't put up much of a fight, I was almost able to grab her barehanded.

Dropped her in ice cold water. A few seconds of twiching and it was over. She's in a better place. But it wasn't fun to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store