loads of fry, can i fit in angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Newfishboy

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
East Kilbride, Scotland
Visit site
i have a 45-50gallon (uk) tall tank, 36x15x22

3 swordtails
3 guppies
1 dwarf gourami
2 honey gourami
5 corries
10 H. rasbora
1 pleco

i'm being over run by fry from the livebearers, i was wondering if i could fit in an angelfish or 2? i know they can get big, i will be getting a larger tank early next year, ok?????

and if only fit 1 are they ok on there own?

i've heard they like pairs, but then heard they can fight??

or is there anything else that would like the odd fry for dinner???????

anything need to know about lokking after these fish, temp, food, plants, light, hardness. any adivse would be nice.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
angelfish are ok on their own, but keep them in groups or singly, not in pairs unless you know it's a compatible breeding pair. often, one will become dominant over the other and the lower ranking one gets beat up. an angel would no doubt gobble up all the fry in a few days. otherwise, they're pretty adaptable fish. They do like warmer temps by a few degrees. anything above 76 will do fine.

hth

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
My angel does wonderfully on his own; he's the king of his little water world. As for eating fry, I try to save some of my fry and usually manage to save only one fry out of every few batches! Angels will hunt down and eat any fry large enough for them to fit in their mouths.
An angel will do just fine in your tank. I would just get one, for the reasons already stated as well as the fact that they do get large, and if you're feedng them a steady diet of fry, they'll get big fast!
One thing you _might_ have trouble with, some tetras and rasboras can be fin nippers, even the peaceful sweet little harlequins I used to have nipped on occasion. You might want to get an angel larger than a teeny baby one, so he'll be able to hold his own against your other fish.
Food wise, my angel will eat anything I provide including vegetable matter, but really really likes things like bloodworms, daphnia, freeze dried krill bits and, maybe a bit odd, he goes nuts for Tetra 'Colour Bits', possibly becuase they're crunchy little nuggets and not boring old flakes.
Happy angel shopping!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Good point, however I'd say the guppies aren't in any danger until the angel is fairly large; my angel is about 1 1/4" across, not including his tail (a little larger than the size of a $1 coin) and has posed no threat to my pygmy corys (1/2 - 3/4") or half-grown neons (1/2") so far. Occasionally he 'yawns', and I can see that his mouth just doesn't open large enough for even a small to medium sized neon to fit - yet.
Newfishboy, if you get a fairly young angel the guppies should be okay if they're full grown, and when the larger tank is set up you might want to move the angel (before he gets large enough to think those guppies might be a nice snack!)

Newfishboy

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
East Kilbride, Scotland
Visit site
will a large angel eat my h.rasbora? they are ore or less fully grown have been in tank almost a year.

never heard angels eating guppies, even if the guppies are fully grown? and in the tank before the angel?

cheers for the replies.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I can't say for sure, but harlequins are 'taller' fish than guppies, and angels really do have very small mouths. They seem to go after fish that are more elongated; neons are the classic example. If your harlequins are almost full grown I can't see an angel being able to make a meal of them.
If you ask in the 'cichlid' section you might get an answer from someone who owns full grown angels as to what they can fit in their mouths; mine's only half grown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store