Hagens wide range PH test kit.. Accurate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LindaD

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Just wondering if anyone else uses Hagens wide range PH test kit?

I just bought the Hagen PH kit today and it reads my PH at 7.5-8.0. Closer to 8.0. :eek: The lfs which uses the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals PH test kit reads my PH at 6.6-6.8. I checked to make sure my kit isn't expired and it's not. Expires on Dec/31/05. There's is the AP master test kit.. opened a few months ago and not expired either.

I tested all three of my tanks and get the same reading. 7.5-8.0. I also tested my rubbermaid container which is soaking quite a few pieces of driftwood. The water in there has been sitting for over 4 weeks. And it's full of tannins. I still get a reading of PH 7.5. My tap water is also reading 7.5-8.0 after sitting out overnight.

I'm going to take some more water back to the lfs to compare. They tested my PH a few weeks back.. which is when I got the 6.6-6.8 reading. Either that or I'll just buy my own AP PH test kit.

It just shocked me that I got 2 very different results. Somethings messed up here.. I just don't know whether it's my kit or theirs. Any ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store