Bubble tip anenome has lost it's bubble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jack

Registered Member
I am fairly new to marine tanks (one year). I have a 40 gallon tank with live rock, 2 anenomes, 5 fish and 3 shrimps. The bubble tip anenome has lotst it's bubble look tentacles, they are now long and skinny. I have a protein skimmer and all water tests are OK. I have heard something about the type of lighting they need, at the present time I have one marine glow and one life glow which are only 2 weeks old and seem to be trowing anough light into the tank. Any ideas??????? :confused:
The anenomes do eat once a week, I feed them pieces of squid. He is in one spot hasn't moved in months and seems happy to be there at the bottom of the tank. He has gotten a little smaller in size since I got him. Any help would be apprciated.
Jack.

Dewey115

AC Members
May 15, 2004
Omaha, NE
Visit site
Not sure how much I can help, but from my understanding they will lose their bulb when they dont have enough light. I dont know if this is the case though because I would guess that he would try to be up near the surface if he doesn't have enough light. How much light do you have (type, watts, etc...) I'm sure even if I cant help, others will ask you the same thing.

Rick

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
That's probably not enough ligh I'd try to at least double it. You want at the very least 2 wats per gallon ,"4 is better but it can move higher". Has it been moving around a lot ? What color is it? I'd try increasing my light and see how it does. Also it will loose it's bubbles as it gets older it should grow pretty fast under the right conditions.
hth
Chris

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I don't think anyone really knows why BTA's lose their bubbles- they just do. Some get their bubbles back after a meal, some don't- some get bubbles back with a water change, some don't.

As long as he is eating and his mouth looks good I wouldn't worry too much about it.
one Marine Glow 20 watts and one Life Glow 20 watts
These are normal output flourescent tubes, right?

That lighting is a bit dim but I'd think that if he were light hungry he would relocate to the top of the tank.

jack

Registered Member
Yes they are flourescent. Also when I first got him he was nice and green with fuchia tips, now he looks brownish with a little bit of green. He does eat squid once a week and whatever else I feed the others in the tank every day.
He has been at the bottom of the tank for at least 3 months now, has not moved at all, seems to be happy there. Just wish he would get his colour back and of course the thickness of his tentacles. He was quite nice when I got him, now he is not the nicest thing in the tank to look at.
I also have a ritterie anenome which is quite nice but he seems to like the top of the tank where he gets good current from a powerhead and the light is brighter up there. He is home to 2 clown fish.
Thanks for the input but there is nothing I can do about the light as they only come in 20 watt.
Will just wait and see what happens.
Thanks again.

Jack

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store