My Clownfish is in LOVE ...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
with my COLT CORAL!

The silly fish has been practically GLUED to the Colt since murdering it's buddy a few weeks ago. It's so cool to watch though, it swims amung the waving/swaying arms of the coral and will actually go and lay in the middle of the trunk base for a rest every so often. It can get my heart going a bit when I look over at the tank and don't see the clown for a few minutes because it has decided to take a rest in the full Colt's arms. It's neat to see it hosting though, and I'm glad because I've always wanted a hosting fish but didn't want the anemone. I wish I knew whether the fish was a male or female though so I could try to get it a mate.

Anyone else have clowns do this kind of thing? Also, should I try to get this fish a mate or should I leave it a single?

Well, just wanted to share this cute little momento. If I think of it later I'll try to get a picture.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
If it has been on its own a while, assume it's a female. In the absence of social stress, that's the path it will take. The best way to get a pair is to get a small, immature fish who will then become a male.
Edit: forgot to mention, that is pretty cool!

Last edited:

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
they're born unsexed... if theres a large group they'll prolly remain that way, and then if theres say two-three in a tank one will become more dominant and grow bigger in size, being a female. The other "males" will stay smaller and be submissive, but also in some medium sized groups theres sometimes a dominate female and then others who aren't really sexed yet and will become the dominate one if needed later. At least thats what i understand about it... i'm not too sure.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
waste-ya pretty much got it. Just a few adjustments need to be made. The number one ranking clownfish is the female, number two the male. In a tank setting and in the wild there are only one of each. If there are a bunch others they are all still clowns with no sex. Then when either the male or female dies, the strongest of the independents steps up and fills that role. So in a tank with quite a few clowns the most dominant will be female, 2nd will be male, then all the others will be its. Other than that you got it waste! Hope this helps and good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store