White Bulb Anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
I saw a white, really white, like paper, bulb anemone in a "green bulb anemone" tank. The store had it for at least a month. It looks healthy.

I've just never heard of white bulb anemone's.

Anyone heard of this or have any ideas?

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Sounds like it has bleached...

Found this handy explanation:

"Bleaching: disease of some animals with symbiotic zooxanthellae. The disease is triggered by a stress, often a thermic stress (environmental temperature variation). The animal reacts getting free of the zooxanthellae. We can observe tha animal becoming white because usually the tissue of those species are completely transparent, as a result of the co-evolution with a symbiotic alga, needing full light to live. The colour of the animals with symbiotic zooxanthellae is actually the colour of the algae.
The bleaching means not automatically the death of the animal, normally a recover is possible (if the stress factor is removed)."

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
-

It looks great white, I hope it does recover...and stay bleached. It's not transparent, it's a bright white...like a sebae

It's moving quite a bit. I thought anemone need/want sunlight? This guy just placed himself beneath a rock. Is he retarded? lol

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
No, bro it's probably really stressed and unless you can get it to start eating and recovering it won't make it. I'd try cutting silver sides into little bitty pieces or maybe some mysis shrimp every day untill it gets it's color back. They get a lot of thier nutrients from their symbiots , as well as useing them to remove a lot of their cellular wastes. If you give it a lot of tlc it will get it's algae back and grow like gang busters for you if not......:eek:
hth
Chris

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Try giving it a little food every day and it might recover. Also try adding a little dt or other inverts food if it won't take solids. If your water quality is good it might make it and when it does it
ll grow like mad. I really do wish you the best and please keep us posted.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
read theAnemone and Clownfish forum at reef central, they're lots of help. I bought a RBTA (red bubble tip anemone) which was being stressed by my clowns and I had a bunch of problems. But the information i got was good! Ok, there is no white anemone... it is probably bleached, the reason it is hiding under a rock is because it isn't use to having good lighting... say the fish store had just florecent bubls on it and you have metal halides, or power compatcs... the anemone will hide from them. The advice I got was just like Cearbhaill and maxilaria said, to feed it everyday. Don't worry they look like they're dying when they release wastes.. which is norma I guess.. i still think it looks bad everytime, but it will eventually come out from the rocks and go into the open, but it shouldn't be white/clear... and the mouth should be closed tight.

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
Yup!

The fish store had in under florescents. It does often look like it's dying. Sometimes it's mostly closed up and the tentacles are so so small...sometimes it's resting on the rock below...sometimes it looks fairly decent. I've been feeding it raw shrimp bits and mysid shrimp once a day. I've been adding small small pinches of advanced phytoplankton to the water daily. I'm trying to keep the water stable, by matching the evaporation by dripping R/O water.

Man! I was hoping I had a white anemone.

Thanks for putting me on the the Anemone FAQ at Reef Central bro! Good stuff

Anyone ever eat Anemone? People eat spiders and slugs, someone's gotta eat anemone!

Last edited:

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
-

update on the bleached anemone. It has moved to a spot where it gets some light. I've been feeding it once a day. The base has turned a brownish tan color. The tentacles are still white. The mouth bubbles out a little bit everyone in a while, and the tentacles have been staying small.

I'm concerned that it's not going to make it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store