Red Clawed Crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sunny

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Texas, USA
excoboard.com
Our store is selling small red clawed crabs. They are keeping them in the same tank with smaller fish. All they are saying about the crabs is "Critter". Are these little creatures agressive to fish? I am also concerned that if I get Clown Loaches and put them in the tank with crabs the fish is scaleless and can be easily injured. What are your opinions?

hermxl1

Loud Tank Pumps Really Suck!!!
May 3, 2004
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Well I don't know anything about crabs, but I would be very concerned ith clown loaches hanging out on the bottom of the tank with them. I know the experts around here are first going to ask the size of your tank. And there's not ample room for everyone and the crab can be agressive, then I would say leave him out of the tank.

Thats just my HO.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The problem with crabs is that they need to get out of the water occasionally and are therefore wicked escape artists. It really requires a specialized tank setup to keep them. And yes, crabs are scavengers and opportunistic eaters so they will grab whatever is easy prey. And finally they are actually brackish water and not truely freshwater. They will survive for a time but to keep them long term you need brackish conditions and therefore definatley no loaches.

Sunny

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Texas, USA
excoboard.com
When you mentioned brakish water this reminded me of another fish I wanted to ask about--suckermouth catfish. I read that they also require salt water, but people talk about having them in their freshwater tanks all the time.

The size of our tank is 80g, and we haven't yet cycled it, so at this time I am doing as much research as possible about different fish.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
hmmm... please correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing I've ever heard called a "suckermouth catfish" was the pleco, and I remember them beng called this in the 70's and 80's..... This being the case, pleco's should have NO salt in their water, they are a true freshwater fish. I'm not sure even using salt for medicating a tank with plecos, I believe if it is used, it should be at a minimum.

chkltcow

AC Members
Jul 13, 2004
Stanley, NC
www.baneverything.org
http://wrongcrowd.com/aquaria/crab/

I think Red Clawed Crabs are entirely aquatic, or at least they can survive entirely aquatic. I tried keeping one based on a local shopkeeper's information.... and it died in about 2 weeks :( Mine suffered "the creeping death" that page talked about. One day he was just fine, walking around just as happy as can be, picking up the pieces of food that had found their way to the bottom and grooming hair algae off of a plant.... next day he was laying with his legs stuck up in the air, falling over on his face. I took him out and he didn't move anymore... at all.

That was enough to sour me on keeping crabs right there. The only thing I can think is that TKOS is right, and it DOES need salinity, no matter what you hear elsewhere.

Sunny

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Texas, USA
excoboard.com
I am sorry about your crab! They look so neat, but the store doesn't give you any information on them.

About Plecos. The info I got was from a Dr. Mills book, so naturally I believed what he said in it about adding some salf to the tank, but it didn't sound right to me either. Can Pleco do well with Clown Loaches and are they okay by themselves or need company of other plecos?

chkltcow

AC Members
Jul 13, 2004
Stanley, NC
www.baneverything.org
Most things say that plecos are fine with Clown Loaches, but I have read before that it's not a good idea to have them together. Personally, I don't want a Pleco because I don't want anything as large as they get.... or anything that's gonna uproot my plants like a pleco would. If you want cute algae eaters that won't get very big, but will still do a wonderful job and are entertaining to watch, pick up some Otos :)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
There are so many types of plecos. The standard variety does get largem but an 80 gallon tank should be fine with lots of water changes (they create tons of waste). You will also need drift wood as most plecos need the lignin in their diet.

Also if it is an acrylic tank then plecos are known to be able to scrape the sides of the tank.

As for "suckermouth fish" the only other ones I can think of are chinese algae eaters. But why not try looking at www.planetcatfish.com

It is a great site.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store