Native species tanks...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquatick

AC Members
Jul 21, 2004
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
Am I the only person who has a tank of native species fish? The idea is to collect fish as well as plants from your local area water ways etc etc. To my suprise I was able to collect flag fish and sailfin mollies among other things. I really didn't expect it to turn out to be anything spectacular, but it's turned into something pretty cool. Anyone else doing this?

chkltcow

AC Members
Jul 13, 2004
Stanley, NC
www.baneverything.org
Find my post about the riffle tank. Mine wouldn't be as cool as yours probably, because I doubt a stream in the NC foothills will have the varied ecology of the Tampa Bay area, but I had definately considered it. I think it would be great to be able to do a biotype tank for an area that you've actually observed firsthand, not just read about in a book.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have been starting to collect native plants, but most of our fish get far too big for my tanks, except maybe minnows.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I grew up in Northeast Texas and the only native fish I have ever heard of or known about get really big. The type of fish you go fishing for mainly.

Bass, Perch, Croppy(sp?), Catfish.

Plus Alligator Gar and once something that I was told was a Buffalo fish?

I don't know of any fish from my native area that could live in a tank under 100 gallons. And that's only the smallest one! Most of them you would need a pond.

Well, except for minnows. But, God, that would be a boring a** tank.

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by LongTime
Just a warning: It may be illegal to collect native fish.
I think in most states it is legal, but you have to have a current fishing license and the fish you are keeping count against your daily limit. The only problem would be catching a young bass and not being able to keep it because of a size limitation for your area.

I have fish, gravel and wood from where I live. I would have plants, but I can't find any that I like. Search around for sunfish online. I have found they are very easy to keep in aquariums.

kevinfishboy

AC Members
Feb 7, 2004
rockford
Visit site
i use to have native fish in my tanks like crappie, bluegill,and channal cats but the reason i let the crappie go are that my convict was beating them up really bad and they also were very messy i had to do water chages everyother day so thats why i don't have native species in my tanks

Danimal

AC Members
May 12, 2004
SE Wisconsin
bakermedia.com
I'm in the process of doing a species tank with bluegill. So far it's turning out pretty cool. I plan on getting new lighting in a month or two and that is when I will go and collect some plants from our lake. The bluegills have been very enjoyable so far! All or my rocks and one piece of driftwood came from the lake also.

gill_tank_1-001.jpg

duck

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
South Georgia
Visit site
wow

Hey...wow Danimal my tank looks ALOT like your.. very simular.. I have a very funny sunfish named Spike... he is pumpkin seed with bright blue translucant lines over his face... as well as a small brim named Moe and a really COOL guy named Elvis.. he is a Warmouth.... in my tank I also have a young catfish and a couple of minnows.... I feed them flakes and krill.... occasionaly they get red wigglers and live krickets.. when they outgrow the tank I will return them to the lake and get a really tiny hook and catch me anouther tank full... :0)

I'll have to get better lights and take some pictures. !!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store