Body Fungus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SomeGuy88

Its simply scrum-trulescent
Jun 26, 2004
Grimsby, Ontario
Visit site
So my brother just told me that something looks funny with his Goldfish. He is just a Comet in a 25 gallon tank but he has got Fungus out of no where. all the parametres are fine aswell. What Exactly would I use to cure this? I have heard Melafix, Table Salt, or aquarium salt. Which one is best?

thefishylover

AC Members
Sep 4, 2004
I go to the pet shop and get a bottle specially marked to treat fungus. From my experience, these "specially made" medicines did me better jobs at treating funguses than plain salt. Something like Melafix will do also.

fantail

AC Members
Sep 22, 2004
scotland
how can you advocate the use of table salt for fish? this is stupid if not dangerous. any salt that can be used for aquariums must have an anti caking agent.
for a general salt dip take one gallon of water and add 1.5 level teaspoons of salt and leave your fish in it for 10 minutes. most fish are okay with this level of salt and only take your fish out if the gills slow down. your fish may be stunned for a little while but will soon perk up. salt works well for most parasite infections. some people i know salt the tank to a 1% solution to keep parasites down.

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
fantail said:
how can you advocate the use of table salt for fish? this is stupid if not dangerous. any salt that can be used for aquariums must have an anti caking agent.
I've never heard of anyone having any trouble at all with table salt. Have you had a bad experience with it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store