Live rock question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jamzwayne

I love Pl3co's
Jul 28, 2004
Athens, TX
www.thegodshatetexas.com
I am not a salty fish keeper, but I do have a friend that has a 55 Salt tank.

I have a silly question about live rocks.

I am going to South Padre for a week, and he asked me to bring him back some "live rocks".

Is that possible?

I live a good 8-10 hours from the beach, and suppose I can bring him some back, will the rocks make the trip?

If the rocks dry out, will they still be ok to use in his tank?

Or is this a really, REALLY dumb question? I have no idea.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I don't know where "South Padre" is so am not aware of the laws regarding collection. Be careful- many states/countries/provinces seriously prosecute this type of thing.

If it dries it dies.
You can keep it wet by transporting it in a large garbage can or very heavy duty plastic bag with seawater. Wrapped in wet newspaper could be an option but he will see considerable die off.

jamzwayne

I love Pl3co's
Jul 28, 2004
Athens, TX
www.thegodshatetexas.com
South Padre, TX.

I didnt think of a law preventing collecting. Good point. I will look into that.

So, if I put the live rock in say an icechest with some see water, it might make the trip?

***So, was my question REALLY dumb, or just dumb?***

duck

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
South Georgia
Visit site
live rock

the rock you collect at the ocean will probly not be the "live" rock you or he is really wanting...

Most "live rock" is found miles out at the reefs.... most inshore rock is very dull.. althouh very live...

I was able to get some rock from the coast.. it is mostly oyster bar rock.. it is very intresting it came with a gazzilion crabs and an anemone (one that most aquarium owners dispise)

most of the rock was actualy slightly exposed during low tide... the rock is normaly very porus so the stuff in the rock doesn't really every really dry out but isn't normaly submerged creating the best conditions for the stuff aquarium owner like to see on there rock... it will have the bacteria to start a tank cycle....

If you don't have a boat or a way to really get into the ocean and look around you might really want to see if that is what he is intrested in...

I have some pictures of my rock.... it looks nothing like the rock you get in an aqarium store or "Reef" rock.

duck

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
South Georgia
Visit site
heres a picture

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/irrelevant2003/detail?.dir=/a8f4&.dnm=35e7.jpg

You can bring it back in a cooler with water in it.. if you are certain that all of it would get wet and doens't dry out I don't think you really need it submerged.. a good thing might be to put in barg with water then stored in the cooler incase they bust...

If not anything else look for some cool crabs and snails.. an odd shape rock and sand.."live" sand should be easily gotten...

a dip net works great in tide pools during low tide..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store