Big Lips on Beta; not doing well...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snoozin

AC Members
Mar 29, 2004
I've got a beautiful beta my daughter gave me; he's been king of the roost (so to speak) in a 27 gal for a while; the last couple days he's developed "big lips"... they look kind of like Goldie Hawn's in that silly movie -- he also is losing color, and looking pretty ill all around. No fungus I can see; any thoughts?

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
How's the water quality? Temperature stable? Has anyone been picking on him? Do his fins look shredded at all, or any other visible bruises/cuts?

If you have a smaller tank, I'd suggest moving him into it. Even a large rubbermaid bucket would do the trick. Keep temps around 78-80, and if you can get some, Melafix cures pretty much anything! If you cannot get Melafix, add some salt into the tank/bucket (1 teaspoon per 5 gallons) - table salt will do the trick.

Good luck!

~Tara

SomeGuy88

Its simply scrum-trulescent
Jun 26, 2004
Grimsby, Ontario
Visit site
I used to have an angel fish with the same problem. He started to develop it when he was older (5 years). I tried salt and Melafix, but that did not do nothing at all for the lips. He lived a perfectly normal life, except he would have a bit of trouble eating larger food items.

As for the loss in coloration, I would quarantine for now and do the things dwayne said. That will help any prevent/cure fungus or parasites that might be starting to affect your Betta

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store