Breeding Angelfish or Dwarf Gourami's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I've never bred either but I'll put my money on the angelfish. being cichlids they are known for rearing young and defending them. Not to mention they have more fry and are more valuable. Kyle

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Yeah, I've never bred garami's either but I do know for a fact that Angels a very easy once they pair up. As snake said though, they are cichlids so defending the young is a big job that they take seriously though so be wary with anything else you might keep with them. Watching the young grow though is a lot of fun ;)

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
I go angels too. What size tank? Make sure its large enough for the other angels to get out of the way when the other are protecting eggs/babies. Get either a few large ones or 6 smaller ones and let them pair off. Put a piece of slate in the tank, lean it on something. Keep the water great...........large water changes always seems to get them in the mood......I got bit by my large angel last time I cleaned its tank :) Its been protecting a spawing site since I've been doing water changes weekly with cooler water.

on a side note :
My convict ALWAYS get ready to breed when I do a water change with cooler water
n8

JeremyD

AC Members
Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Just about any species of gourami is going to be easier than angelfish. Angels are not overly difficult, it just takes much time and patience to grow them up, let them pair off, let them spawn, and raise the babies. It is certainly not easy.

Most species of gouramis are fairly easy to breed. Dwarf gouramis will reach sexual maturity fairly young. Most all gouramis are sexually dimorphic, making identifying or picking a pair an easy task. The babies are not too difficult to raise if you follow standard labrynth fish rasing techniques.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
JeremyD said:
Most all gouramis are sexually dimorphic, making identifying or picking a pair an easy task. The babies are not too difficult to raise if you follow standard labrynth fish rasing techniques.

I disagree. I don't think the gourami's are as "dimorphic" as is being put forth here. Sure there are some differences in some types but not so drastic that a newbie would be able to point out so quickly, say as quickly as a guppy.

Also, the differences in the breeding habits are a lot different IMO of these two types as well. The Angels can be left alone while both parents guard the surface where the eggs are laid, protecting them from other tank mates, sometimes pretty viciously...... while the gourami's should be separated, then placed together, then allowed to spawn, then the removal of the female (for somed gourami's) so the male can take care of the bubble nest and the same kind of guarding is shown from the male towards anything that comes close to the nest....... I guess it's all a matter of opinion as to what's easier here..... I still vote for Angels....

JeremyD

AC Members
Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Angels are not sexually dimorphic in any way. The only real way to sex them is to wait until they spawn. Even then, the ovipositor is not a 100% surefire way either. Once you get wigglers from a pair, then you know the sexes. Until then, it just a guess. Gouramis on the other hand (most species anyway) have clear traits that make them sexable. Knowing the sex and putting together a compatible pair is a large part of breeding fish. If you can simplify this step, it makes the whole process easier.

As for being easy, *most* gouramis are not very difficult. This is based on my expereinces with a handful of species. Angels on the otherhand, are not always perfect parents. Infact, you'll find that most all angel breeders like myself seperate the eggs from teh parents to artifically rear them as finding a good set of parents is difficult these days.

Not creating an argument here, but overall, I'm just saying, that gouramis are a much easier fish to breed.

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Dangerdoll said:
I don't think the gourami's are as "dimorphic" as is being put forth here. Sure there are some differences in some types but not so drastic that a newbie would be able to point out so quickly, say as quickly as a guppy.
I agree in general, but since the original poster was asking about dwarf gouramis, it should be mentioned that Colisa lalia is dimorphic and quite easy to sex -- even the newbiest newbie should be able to distinguish between the silver of the female and the bright color of the male. Just a small point of clarification, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store