Brown Spots

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Argento13

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
I have two Echinodorus Osiris (Melon Swords). Ive had them for two weeks and they look nice and seem to be growing but both have developed a brown spot on one leaf. The leaf died on one and i removed it, the other i just noticed. I have some Foral Pride that was given to me but hesitate to use it as it has been sitting around for a couple years (so im told) and am not sure if its neccesary or not. Should i use it and if so, at the recommended dosage? Thank you.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I don't know what the product you mentioned is... however a plant grown under one light source is acclimated to that particular lights out put. you change that, which is bound to happen when you take it home, and the existing leaves don't have the energy source they are used to, weaken, and die. hopefully your lightsource is enough for the plant to survive and the plant grows new leaves that are adjusted to your light.
to some degree this happens each time you put a new bulb in and more so when you change types or brands of bulb

wetmanNY

AC Members
When you buy Amazon Swords, the leaves you get are the emerse ones, with a waxy protective cuticle, a thicker stiffer blade and often on a longer petiole than the submerse leaves that it will grow for you under aquarium conditions. Do more advanced aquatic planters agree that newly-purchased Swords eventually shed these aerial leaves and replace them with finer, softer, narrowed leaves on shorter petioles? (Or is that merely in my fairly "natural" softwater conditions?

FloraPride as I remember is mostly potassium with a little iron. It won't have gone bad in storage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store