Otos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carttman

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
I have a 29 gallons tank with 11 Cardinal tetras and 10 Rummy nose tetras. I would like to add some Otos, but I have no idea how many to get. Can someone recommend a good amount for me?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
A minimum of 3-4. Since you have nothing on the bottom now probably 5 would be good. But watch those water params as cories like good quality water. Of course the rummys will let you know if the water is getting bad.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
That is funny, somehow I read cories and responded as such. Yes, I would probably go with 5-6 ottos. (Hmmm I should get some better glasses I think).

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
ottos have a bacteria in their stomach that helps them digest algae and if they went to long without food during the trip to the lfs they might not make it...

also I have found that my 20 gallon tank will only support 2 ottos max any more and I have to feed them algae waffers cause they starve

I think starving is worse than being lonely so I currently only have one otto in my 20 gal, and 5 in the 55

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
yes the 55 is has only a few live plants and light enough for a whole tank full so it grows algae well, I got them all very small and they are large and fat now :)

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
ya thats about right although three of the ones in the 55 must be females because they are heaftyer and almost 3 inches the largest of them, but the smaller males are only 1 1/2 inch

the tan with sae like stripe are the smallest of the three I have had with the rest getting to the 2 inch mark or more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store