Community Kribs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
My daughter has a 150 gallon community tank with mostly tetras and rasboras. There is also a dwarf gourami and some platties... maybe I'm just addicted but I really think that tank needs some cichlids. The gourami is sort of interesting... but community fish antics are pretty boring to me! I've been reading some threads with the search feature on cichlids that work well in communities and seem to have come up with kribs, apistos, rams, and keyholes. Any others I should be considering? I don't want anything that will get big enough to snack on her little fish.

I am leaning towards the kribs, since I already have rams planned for another tank and I think the keyholes wouldn't like to belong to a 7 year old. She is good about not tapping the glass, but the tank is in her room and she jumps around like any normal kid.

Does the kribs option sound good? Would they fit a pH of about 7.0-7.2, 78F, somewhat soft water and have reasonably peaceful behavior. There is only one type of kribs, (Pelvicachromis Pulcher), correct?

Last edited:

BV77

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Palmer, Alaska
Visit site
I've kept them in my tetra tank and no one was harmed. they will , however defend their territory and will keep all fish away from the fry. Mine just chased the others away, soon they gave the kribs their space......My advise, I'd go ahead and try them. They are beautiful fish, and quite the learning experience for young and old alike as they rear their young and parade the fry around the tank in search of food. My tanks are well planted and theyfry have no trouble finding micro foods in there. I've had pairs of kribs and they seem to be monogomous. If one dies, it takes a while for the survivor to mate with another.....also.....one male and one female at a time. one male and two females in the same tank, both of the pair will harrass the odd one to no end. It will hide and never get any peace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store