mandarin goby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
well i bought a male mandarin goby about 3 months ago, i have bought several pod cultures from inland aquatics to try to keep it happy. but the good news is that its startin to eat live bryme shrimp. the mandarin and my green banded goby are startin to hang out together too. its kinda neat the way the mandarin will be sitting almost on top of the green one. it looks kinda like a big dog protecting its puppy.

benjen

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Minnesota (USA)
Visit site
Good to hear! :)

Are you stuffing the brine shrimp with algae, or just using baby brine shrimp to keep up the healthiness quotient?

I would like a mandarin, but I'm waiting for the huge tank my wife and I talk about 1-5 years down the line.

benjen

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Minnesota (USA)
Visit site
OK, then just to warn you, brine shrimp are the nuitritional equivalent of popcorn if you don't feed them some heathy food before your fish eat them. They are filling, but about equivalent to you or I stuffing ourselves on iceberg lettuce. For a mandarin, however, anything is better than nothing. Your fish store may feed the brine shrimp on vitamins and algae, then you'd be good, but I'd ask about it.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
its not the only thing they eat. as i said before, i buy pod cultures from time to time. and the brine shrimp are just a snack they get twice a week, i feed flake food, live brine, frozen mysis, seaweed salad and occasionally i put in some chopped deli shrimp, most everything in there likes it. and the brine shrimp are shipped in so the lfs doesnt know, they are ususally gone in about 4 hours. anyway, the mandarin is doing great.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hey no worries man all you have to do is feed the brine some nutrient/vitamin enriched formula for 24 to 48 hours before feeding . It will be a much better for for your mandrin after that and it's not at all complicated just need your nutrient solution 5 gallon tank, air stone and a flash light ," to make them bunch up and easier to catch after lights out".
hth
It will save you a bunch of cash too! It's probably able to scarff down well over 100 pods a day so...

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i have a freind that i let borrow my last tank. he should be done with it in a couple of weeks. he was going to change his bowfront from fresh to salt, so i told him i would give him my last 10 gallon and help him set it up so he would have a q tank. but he just started a salt in that instead. i think his bowfront is cycling right now. so maybe when its done ill be able to do that. thanks max.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
How big is the tank you're going to be feeding? You could probably do it with far less than a 10 gallon. My current Brine set up is pretty small. I use a couple of jars ," they are like 2 or 3 gallons." That way I can feed both newborn brine ,"they have a lot of nutritional value", and grow some of them to get a little meat on their umh, well not bones :) . I find that by mixing the sizes of the bine it lets my mandrin and fire goby get more of the smaller ones. Also you might want to consider getting a pair of cleaners I'm pretty sure that my mandrin eats it's eggs and napuli as well. I keep it bare bottom for easy cleaning and just add my eggs/cysts and airstone and a little el cheapo heater. I feed H.U.F.A. powdered spirulina "sp?" and activated yeast. Just dump out and rinse out after each culture.
Hth
Chris

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
the tank is 135 gallon.i posted it for sale because my fiance and i thought we were not going to have the time/money to deal with it. between my work and her teaching and going to school, we just didnt have alot of time. but now i want to keep it. i say a ten gallon because thats what i would have just laying around. i have been told i would get whomped if i even thought of buying any more fish stuff!!!! i have a pair of cleaners, and my peppermints have eggs all the time. ill get with you in a little more detail on the brine raising when i get my tank back. thanks for the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store