Pics of my channel cats.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
I've waited for these fish for a while. I finally got them, and they are as great as I had imagined! They are hard to take photos of...I managed to get these after about 100 tries! I just had to show them off! :cool:

Channel cats

Channel's tank. It's slowly but surely coming along. I need to add a few more plants.

While I'm at it, here is a decent pic of my gourami that stays in the 20 gallon under the channels.

kevinfishboy

AC Members
Feb 7, 2004
rockford
Visit site
I like ur pics and ur tank setup is awsome how long have u had the channels and that groumie is cool too

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
Thanks.

I have had them for a couple of weeks. They are around 3.5" right now (about 2.5-3" when I got them), but they are growing very fast. They are always hungry and eat like pigs. Within about 10-20 seconds after I drop food in the tank for them, they are able to locate it.

I really like them and would recommend them to anyone that has a place to put them after they start getting big. These guys will be going in a big pond once they get fairly large.

Channels are great, but then again, I have yet to see a catfish I didn't like.

Surgee

AC Members
Aug 23, 2004
channel cat too

hey i have channel cat too. mine are about 3 inches, but i have plans to put them in a pond pretty soon they are currently in a 12 gallon tank. i dont have pics but i would have loved to show you them

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
Cool. They are a fun catfish. Mine will probably go in the pond this spring. At least one of them anyway, it really depends on what size they are when spring gets here.

kevinfishboy

AC Members
Feb 7, 2004
rockford
Visit site
i had a 10 inch albino channel cat in my 20g i know that was way to small of a tank for him but he was very beautiful i really miss him too but i had to give him to my LFS he prolly would have been 12 inches by now

Jakmax

AC Members
Aug 4, 2004
New York
Visit site
Great pics! How long does it take the channels to get very big? Great gourami, also. I just got mine this weekend and I love him!

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
I'm not positive, but if I had to guess I would say they grow 1-2" a month depending on how you feed them. Once they get 6-8" they will probably slow down to something like 1" every 2 months or so. Someone told me once, that when stocking a pond with them, you start out with cats about 3-4" and a year later they will be close to 1lb., or roughly 12".

This is something I will be looking into, if what I said was wrong I will come back and repost.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Provided these are the real Channel cat they do grow very fast. Just watch out for their barbs, I've been hit by one before (fishing, not fishkeeping) and it hurts like a b****.

The only source I've found for this fish is wild-caught and I heard that keeping such a fish was illegal. But I would love to get a fish like this and a 500+ gallon pool/tank and keep them with carp.

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
I've never been stuck by a channel, but several of my friends have. I am always very careful when handling them. I usually grab them by the belly with their spines between my fingers....unless it is a big one.

It is not illegal. I wouldn't really care if it was, anyway. Here, keeping native fish is legal but they count against your daily limit. If you had them in a pond, I doubt they would count against the daily limit at all. Depending on the size, you could have 1 cat in it or 100. Now that I think about it, I don't even think this state has a limit on catfish. It's not on the back of the license with all the other fish if there is one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store