Help for sick betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tpl*co

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
Well, now I know I've lost it since I grabbed an ailing betta off a co-workers desk and I'm trying to recoop it. The betta's older, so it could be old age, but he hasn't been eating for maybe a week (of course before I nabbed him someone continued to feed him and he had uneaten food all over in his tank and smelly water :(). He's pretty listless at the bottom of the bowl coming up for air occationally. What I've done is changed his water last thurs. and put a guppy fry in with him to see if that would peak his interest in eating. He acted interested in the guppy but maybe chasing it was too much for him. I also put a little melafix with him (perhaps a drop). Today I changed his water again, this time taking out all decorations that could hide a guppy and trap food. I put his tank next to my bettas so it could get his interest (he's been flaring to my betta), but he still hasn't eaten. I also put in a little more melafix. He's moving a little more, but with effort.

How long can a betta go without eating? Is there anything I'm missing? (except I'm trying to save someone else's betta, LOL) ;) :thud:

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
not that im saying this was on purpose, but, my boyfriend didnt feed his for like, 2 weeks, and it was ok. he just fed it 2x a day and, he was perfectly normal.

(dont get me wrong, lol, this was his 1st fish; he has since gotten 2 more bettas, and has a 10g fishtank. he's becoming a little aquariast!! :p )

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
When one of my older bettas was getting near the end he ate maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 2 months I had him.

Your best bet is to keep doing daily water changes, add food and if he doesn't eat it after a few minutes take it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store