Upset Moray

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
I bought a freshwater moray eel and even after doing sufficient research on it , made a hiding spot for him, bought feeder guppies, and comet goldfish (which the LFS was feeding them). The second night I had him I came home to find him on the floor.
luckily he hadn't been there long and was still very alive, so I picked him up (carefully of course) and put him back in. I'm very concerned for him right now, and would love any advice someone could give me.

I neglected to mention the most important part, I haven't seen him eat and all of the feeders are still there. I've got several other fish near the bottom (two cory's and a pacu that likes to hang out near the bottom). what should I do?!

Last edited:

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
Morays are notorious for finding their way out of the tank...if you haven't done so yet, secure any possible area the eel might use to escape the tank. As for the eel, try looking carefully at it, look for any possible injuries (such as scrapes that occur from the tank to the floor). Good luck.

pollock701

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
salt lake city UT.
Visit site
feed him by hand

i have had my (FW) Moray for three years he eats 8 feeder goldfish evrey other night. i use a it hard to explain its a sewing tool hass a wood handle and a metle neddle about 1 inch long i stick the goldfish and i dont even have to put it in his face he sees me and comes. Thay cant see so i i have never seen myine catch live seen him chase them but never with sucsess let me know how you are doing after trying this
pollock701

mytosis_matth

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Indianapolis
Visit site
STOP trying to feed comets to the eel. These are a terrible, terrible choice for main diet and will eventually lead to fatty tumors in the eel if it is not fed anything else. I recommend using live ghost shrimp for the eel...mine loves them. Gut load the ghost shrimp with some commercial tropical food in a separate tank if possible. Once the eel is eating them regularly, try feeding frozen shrimps, silversides, etc. to it (by feeding stick).

Good Luck,
Matt

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
I'm going to agree with Matt's suggestion about feeding goldfish to the eel. I used to feed my eel frozen silversides and fresh and frozen saltwater shrimp (cut into pieces, not whole). I'm sure ghost shrimp are a great food source as well, although I prefer not use them since my eel had problems finding them.

pollock701

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
salt lake city UT.
Visit site
feeding my eel

i have been feeding him the goldfish for a year now. he seems just as happy as can be i am just glad he eats . Also i have tried dead silvers he wont eat them nothing dead even gets his attenionto it even if i put it in his face. i hear the horror storys about golds but i take all the precaution. Alls i know is there are not meny people that can keep one and i have but thanks for the comments illl try something new .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store