tankmates for blue crayfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
what tankmates would people reccomend for an Electric Blue Crayfish (Procambarus Alleni about 1" in length)?

20 Gallon with Biowheel, 170 gph Powerhead, and heater.

looking for hardy fish that won't end up being snacks for the crayfish. some sources say they don't harm other fish, and some people report them devouring a dozen neons within a week.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No fish will be completely safe with a crayfish. They are nocturnal predators, and will snatch a fish if they can. There are a few exceptions, but no guarantees. IMO, not worth the risk.

ab_lexus

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
What kind of crays are there out there, and at what price?

Andrew

robbo72787

Registered Member
Aug 26, 2004
well i have a 55 gallon with a blue crayfish and he's great with my fish. i have a breeding pair of kribs(plus babies) 5 silver dollars, a paradise fish, a clown pleco, and 4 cory cats all with him and he never bothers them. Also my fish have learded to kind of keep there distance from him any way. but as long as u have a cave of some sort he should just stick around the cave most of the time(at least thats what mine does). The main thing is that as long as u have fairly fast moviing fish with him they should be fine. But make sure u keep him fed or else he might go hunting. I feed mine about 1/3 of a silver side every other day. And they are most definitely worth the risk(in my opinion) and blue crayfish usually are around 20 bucks each.

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
I found a place that ships blue crays (two types), procambarus alleni [what most shops have listed as electric blue lobster or electric blue crayfish] and Orconectes Immunis [powder blue papershell crayfish]. They are shipped as babies, less than 1", and you can specify sexes.

I saw one of the P. Alleni at my LFS and it was incredibly tempting... They wanted $25 for one though, and he was about 4" in length. I figured I'd rather get a smaller one, who I'd have better chances of acclimating with tankmates.

Reconsidered the crayfish for now, gonna go for a community in the 20, and think about the cray for a future tank...

Bertie B

AC Members
May 31, 2017
You can cut the spike on a crayfishes claw, he wont feel it and that way he cant do any damage to fish but still has his claws, i think a 20 gallon is too small for a electric blue crayfish anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store