Heating Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

froggyfun

AC Members
Aug 26, 2004
I just recently got a 3 gallon Eclipse w/biowheel - I heard that you shouldn't use heaters unless it's 5 gallon or up?? I currently have one ADF and want to add another one - having tank problem right now though.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
The reason you hear people saying that is that most heaters have too much power for tanks of that size (another reason why tanks 5g+ are often a much better choice).

I have, however, successfully used Visatherme's 6" adjustable heater on 2.5g tanks. They are fairly inexpensive (>$10).

What kind of tank trouble are you having?

I don't know how familiar you are with frogs, but I'll link this in case something of interest to you is in it:)
http://aquariacentral.com/forums/sh...id=29515&highlight=African+and+dwarf+and+frog

Welcome to the site, btw!:D

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Pretty sure he said he's going to be keeping 2 ADFs....

froggyfun

AC Members
Aug 26, 2004
My frogs have died! - need advice

I have had my tank now for approx. 3 weeks - when I first bought the tank I was told to wait 48 hours and then I could add the frogs - well everything was fine for about a week then when I went back to get different food for them - my 5 year old son wanted a guppy and the lady at Petsmart told me it would be fine to add 2 guppies (well they died the next day) - then a few days later a frog died - so I tested the water (ammonia at 4.0) and started treating it with ammo lock, biozyme, etc. did water changes for 3 days but the other frog died last week also.
I am currently cycling my tank and I do have a betta (who's in a gallon bowl) which I wanted to add with 2 frogs - but not sure now - I am waiting till the ammonia level comes down.
I want to get more frogs but should I put the betta in the tank first or the frogs? This is when the tank is ready -- Any help is greatly appreciated!

mari

AC Members
Aug 30, 2004
CA
Hey Froggy,

I have a brand new 5 gallon that I bought as a home for our betta. After I put the gravel and plants in, he really loves it. Today I added two danios to cycle the tank. I hope they are hardy enough. I am also hoping to add a frog after the tank has cycled so I'll be interested to hear how it goes with your 3 gallon.

Good luck,

Mari

beavertayl1

AC Members
Aug 29, 2004
use Cycle (synthetic bacteria) and add the betta first because they are more resistant to harsh conditions than ADF's which can be a little delicate.

froggyfun

AC Members
Aug 26, 2004
ADF or Betta

About how long after I add my betta should I wait to add the frogs? That is if the ammonia level ever comes down (still at 4.0) - did a 50% water change last night - I'm wondering since I have no fish in the tank should I even be doing water changes?? - very confused :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store