go brackish or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

keekeemama

AC Members
Aug 26, 2004
i bought a toadfish today,which was advertised as a freshwater lionfish, it was an impulse buy, the fish was in a freshwater tank, i asked the saleslady to give me some info about the fish and she said she didnt know anything about it, as soon as i got home i started doing some research and learned that this is a fish that needs brackish water, i dont know anything about this type of tank, the fish did eat 3 rosys today so i assume it is in ok health, does this fish need a brackish tank or not?, can it remain healthy in a freshwater tank? please help me with any info u have on this fish

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Long term, converting to brackish and possibly full marine would probably be better for the fish. Do you know the species? There are some that seem to do well in FW, but most will eventually succumb to illness without some salt in the water.

The fact that it's eating is good, but not always a sign of good health, sorry. I would determine the species, and then decide how long it will be able to go before it needs brackish conditions.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Converting to brackish does mean a little more time and effort on your part. After you determine whether or not it is a true brackish fish (or marine) you will need to buy marine salt mix (regular aquarium salt will not do). You will also need a tool for determinign the specific gravity of the brackish water. And if you have plants they will have to go, so new aquascaping will be needed.

keekeemama

AC Members
Aug 26, 2004
i believe it is a Allenbatrachus grunniens,
if i change the tank to brackish do i do it gradually?
i've read enough to know i should use instant ocean

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Yes, a very gradual change is in order, like 0.001 SG every few days or so. I would do a search as changing over to brackish has come up before and there may be lots of good advice already in the boards.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
So as not to destroy the biological bed of your tank, you can only raise the SG .002/week. Are there any other fish in there?

Matthew.V

Registered Member
Mar 26, 2005
the only food that the Allenbatrachus grunniens eat is live food??
or he can eat pellets or something else??
I really need a help whith the diet...

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
It is very hard to get a fish that feeds by moving stimulus to eat artificial food.
I had one before and it was hard to get it to eat frozen krill.
Ghost shrimp were eaten with no problems. Guppies avoided the bottom.

Matthew.V

Registered Member
Mar 26, 2005
thanks for the responce OLAF,, not the that i hope..
but anyway the fish must eat what fish must eat...
i try to give him live fish but as you say, all avoid to go down..
so i will try the shrims...
do you feed yours every day???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store