So how badly have I done?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Semarin

AC Members
Jul 20, 2004
Delaware
Visit site
Went and bought my fish yesterday! Let me know what you guys think of my selection. I am already forgetting their names. :)

4 Neons
4 Three Spotted Paraguays
2 Red Tailed uhhh fish. (they are black with red tailed, catfish looking)
1 male Beta

I wanted Oto's as a sort of cleaner fish, but did not see any at the three LFS I went to. So I picked up the red tailed guys.

They all have been in the freshly cycled tank for 18 hours now and all seem to be doing very very well. I have noticed one problem though... My Beta is constantly trying to fight his refelction on the back glass pane of the tank. He stops when I turn off the living room light, so I may be forced to relocate that light. Anyone ever notice anythign like that before? Also, do I need a special kind of food for the red tailed catfish looking guys? They appear to be attempting to feed off the decor and such, but I don't htink there is much algae of any kind right now. (Aquarium is immaculate)

P.S. If you recognize the name of any of my fish and I have it named wrong, let me know so I can edit my sig properly. lol You guys are the best! Thanks

fishinAZ

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
Definately sounds like a Red Tail Black Shark (RTBS). I've got one and he's my favorite fish. :) They will feed off the tiny "things" in your tank and will eat at an algae wafer once in a while. His favorite is shrimp pellets so far.

They get to be about 5" long or so I've read. Mine has grown since I bought him, he's almost 3" now. Juveniles have a small white spot on their dorsal fin.

They are aggressive. Mine torments the tiger barb something terrible.

fishinAZ

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
OH crap! forgot to say that it's not good to have the betta in with the RTBS. Betta will get shredded in no time.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
The RTBSs and the betta are territorial, and they'll fight if there isn't enough room for them to establish their own little area of the tank (a 20g tank may not be large enough to keep two RTSBs). Make sure you've got two separate places for the RTBSs to hang out - flower pots, rock caves, etc. - something for them to defend and call home. If there's one choice hiding place, they'll eventually probably fight over it.
For the betta's sanity, if you don't have a dark background on your tank, I encourage you to install one :D He'll exhaust himself fighting his reflection and will be constantly stressed worrying about what he perceives to be another male in the vicinity challenging him for territory.
RTSBs won't eat algae like otos will, they're loaches and otos are suckermouth catfish that live on algae in the wild. Keep hunting for otos, they are, IMHO, one of the most useful (and very cute to watch) fish around. If you find some, make sure you get at least two, preferably three, and get some algae pellets/wafers to supplement their diet, since there will likely never be enough algae growth in the tank to sustain them.

Last edited:

Semarin

AC Members
Jul 20, 2004
Delaware
Visit site
Red Tailed Black Sharks. Thats exactly what it is. I had no idea they got to be 5 inches! Doah! So far they have shown no interest whatsoever in the Beta, and I really think the beta is a scrapper anyway. If a problem develops between them, I can always throw the beta in my little 1 gallon beta bowl from a couple years ago.

I do have a fairly dark background on the tank, I truely hope I don't need to take it off as I think it looks quite spiffy. I am hoping the beta will figure out that its wasting its time and give up on attacking his reflection. :laugh:

As for pics of the three posted paraguay's, my digicam is currently getting repaired. I'll see if I an find some pcis of them online. They are about hte size of my neons, same basic shape too. They have tanish silver bodies, with a black tail with white tips. Black lower fin with a white tip too.

Last edited:

Semarin

AC Members
Jul 20, 2004
Delaware
Visit site
I am unable to find any mention whatsoever of my three spotted paraguay's anywhere on the net. So it would seem that I have the name completely wrong. :sad: They are neat looking though, in a simple sort of way.

As for the RTBS, I guess I need to try and take one of them back to the store... Does PetSmart take fish back? The two sharks are happy now, but I don't want problems in the future, and there is only one "prime" hiding cave that they are currently sharing.

On a side note. I visited PetCo, PetSmart, and a mom and pop LFS yesterday when looking at fish. PetSmart's fish were CLEARLY healthier.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Can you post a picture or 3 of the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store