any luck with yellow tangs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChrisB

AC Members
Aug 4, 2004
MS
Visit site
Ive been thinking about getting a yellow tang for my 75gallon tank (going to upgrade to a 180+ shortly). Ive heard from different places that it is strictly vegetarian, but then from another it may eat invertabrates. Also, Id really like to get another tang besides a yellow (like a regal tang, or something else) but some say you can and some say you cant. Ive read that a yellow is less prone to ick compared to other tangs. Id like to hear what yall say about it because i know every fish is different. Like if yall have succsefully kept 2 tangs in captivity or anything else. Also if there are special needs that you have discovered. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
First off...let me say...

Most people (I'm not saying you) will say..."yeah, I have this 55gal. tank that I want to put a shark in. But dont worry...I'll be upgrading to a 200gal. tank very soon!" 9 times out of 10, they dont upgrade, for whatever reason, and this poor shark is stuck in a 55gal. tank till it dies.

Now, I know your situation is different...with a Tang instead of a shark, but consider that. A Yellow Tang will live just fine in a 75 gal. tank and it would love the 180gal. you're considering.

On to your question...

Tangs are not strictly vegetarian. I have a Scopas Tang (Brown Tang) that absolutely loves mysis shrimp. I feed mine the mysis, plus TetraMarine Flakes, and Seaweed Selects. They do need a variety in their diet.

Tangs, in general do not get along with other Tangs of the same body shape (i.e. Yellow, Scopas, Sailfin, etc.) If you want to keep another tang with your yellow, I would suggest a Naso, Unicorn, etc. (the kind with the longer body-not the round body). If you can, try and stay away from the Hippo Tangs (Dories - Finding Nemo)...they are the most prone to ick.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I have a new Yellow just out of quarantine, and I must say he has not refused any food I have yet offered. He eats raw veggies, spirulina wafers, frozen foods, live worms- everything! And still acts hungry!

I lost a baby Hippo after a long and arduous battle with ich, so I certainly echo AW2EOD's warning about them. I would love to have tried another but the source was the same and I just couldn't watch another one struggle.

My Yellow was healthier from the start- I never had the first problem with him although I did keep him in quarantine for a full four weeks. As far as special requirements I would say room to swim, a huge variety of foods, constant algae available for grazing, and he needs to be the last fish put in. Mine has only been in the display for five days and he's already taken over.

ChrisB

AC Members
Aug 4, 2004
MS
Visit site
thanks,
i didnt know they would get ick that easily, though i knew they were really prone to it. i wasnt planning on getting one for a while ( its only been goin for 6 weeks or so), but just for future reference.
thanks

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
I'm really not trying to be the "new parent" type and be biased...lol...

But, if you're looking for a Tang...check out the Scopas Tang. They are almost identacle to Yellow Tangs. You'll fall in love with them. In my opinion, they are more active than Yellows and have more of a personality.

Mine recognizes me from across the room...hard to believe, I know. Any other person can go and stand in front of my tank, and the Tang will swim around normally. I walk into the room, or stand in front of the tank, and he's up, swimming against the glass...and swimming at the top, splashing water. I had him for 2 weeks, and he was already eating little mysis shrimp from my fingertips. He's a really cool guy...I named him Wang, the Tang.

Anyway...here's a pic, of the Scopas. They're reasonably priced (around $20-$30) for a 3" juvenile.

scopas_tang.jpg

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
I have a little 4 " yellow in my 75 gal tank and I love the guy. All day he's weaving in and out of my live rock and picking off algae as he goes. I feed him varied algae from seaweed selects as well as the mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and blood worms I feed all my regular inhabitants. He fed from my hand within one week of owning him. He seems to have great personality.

I'd just recommend a yellow to start since many say they're the easiest tang to keep. Give a varied diet and maybe some vitamin supplementation of the algae sheets to prevent any lateral line disease.

Since you have a 75 gal I say go for a yellow tang since you may be unable to upgrade if something comes up. I loved sailfin's and powder blue's but they get too big for a 75, so I settled on a yellow.

ChrisB

AC Members
Aug 4, 2004
MS
Visit site
ill look in to that Scopas Tang
by the way, ill probably consult this forum with more fish questions if im getting one just so i can get more information

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
the first yellow tang i got died overnight. it was bought one of the LFS close by. after that my sister mail ordered one and hes been doing great ever since. my yellow tang and my regal tang hang out together pretty well all day long. the blue did get sick alot when i first got him, but now hes been ich free for about 5 months.

Raki

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Visit site
My yellow tang eats everything. But I would not recommend putting one in a tank that isn't at least 6 feet long, Tangs really like to travel and keeping one in a short tank will only frustrate it and it could develop stress related conditions such as Ich and have a shortened life span..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store