Channel cat not doing well

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I am putting my 12" channel cat in the creek.

His fins are all torn up and he is just not doing well with the 2 gar and largemouth bass in my 75 gal.

I had planned to get a 150 gal stock tank for my bass, and I still will, but something came up.

Hopefully he will recover in the wild.

This fish orginally came from a state hatchery.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
DO NOT RELEASE FISH THAT ARE NOT NATIVE TO YOUR AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you stupid?! Do you not read the newspaper or pay attention to what's been going on in the hobby?!

theFinn

AC Members
Uhh, channel cats are native to north american rivers. If the poster lives in the US where channel cats are common (and he does judging by the fact he got the fish from a state hatchery), he'll simply be putting the fish back into its natural environment.

Granted, if it's been tank kept all it's life it probably won't survive in the wild for very long but it's not going to harm anything.

Perhaps you should think a little before you fly off the handle.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Sorry for not being clear.

I am in the Southern US and we have wild channel catfish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Releasing aquarium fish into the wild is a very, very bad idea, and often illegal. The aquarium fish may have been exposed to pathogens which will be released into the wild--and these non-native introductions (pathogens and parasites count!) can be lethal to the local fisheries. Please, please, do not release that fish.

Channel cats are very hardy--it's unlikely that the injuries are a big problem, unless water conditions are so poor that they do not heal and become infected. These fish are not appropriate for many home aquaria (and what 5 foot fish would be?), but once taken into the aquarium, releasing them is not a good solution. Find it another home, or euthanize it.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I caught it out of a local lake after it was stocked by the game department?

If it had pathogens it's already released them into the wild.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
He is not sick but beat up and stressed from being in the tank with a bass and 2 gars.

He was swimming funny too.

Well I may or may not put him back where I caught him.

You guys make some good points.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The fish may have been exposed to these pathogens while in your tank--didn't have them before, but does now. There is a very real possibility that whirling disease was released into N. American waters by anglers using goldfish as bait--pathogens from aquariums can survive in waters that kill the hosts, and go on to kill native fish. Please, contact your state Game and Fish, or Natural Resources agency, and speak with a fisheries biologist. See what they say--and then follow their advice!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
theFinn said:
Uhh, channel cats are native to north american rivers. If the poster lives in the US where channel cats are common (and he does judging by the fact he got the fish from a state hatchery), he'll simply be putting the fish back into its natural environment.

Granted, if it's been tank kept all it's life it probably won't survive in the wild for very long but it's not going to harm anything.

Perhaps you should think a little before you fly off the handle.

You CANNOT release fish that have been kept in the home aquaria back to the wild. If you catch something for a home aquaria, make sure you can properly keep it. If not, don't take it home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store