Planning 55g cichlid tank, advice needed :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I always wanted a cichlid tank, but I had very soft, low PH water and never got around to setting one up. Now that I moved recently, I have well water with a PH of 7.8, GH of 150ppm and KH of 180ppm. It seems to me with some crushed coral added to the sand substrate, this should be just about perfect for cichlids.

One of my favorite cichlids are yellow labs and I definitely want those in there. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what would be best. Should I mix the yellow labs and another similar sized Malawian cichlid? Or just stick with all yellow labs? How many should I plan to keep in a 55g? I was thinking 6-8 cichlids (5" or so adult sized) and a bottom feeder or two. What would you recommend for bottom feeders, if any? I read that Synodontis catfish are good, but the ones I've looked at perfer a lower PH than the cichlids.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

BumbleFish

AC Members
Aug 16, 2003
Visit site
Yellow labs should do wonderfully in a 55g tank with water params you mentioned. While those Labs are not uncommon, its hard to imagine a more fun and pretty tank with lottle hassle.

I'd recommend you buy 12 fish. 6 from 2 seperate dealers to warranty a decent geniology. You can remove excess males.

Also, adding a troup of synodontis petricola while you're at, and you'll have a tank that will stay fresh for a decade!

Good luck.

Wow!? My first post!? LOL I'm back!

It may also be possible to establish a small group of peacocks in there as well.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store