mudskippers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hey guys and gals,
I saw a few mudskippers for sale and want one. what size tank do i need? I have a spar 20H.Will this tank work for may be 2 skippers?
Right now im setting up a salt 20L and fresh 90.

thanks

stephen :dance

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
they can get big and are kinda messy eaters in addition to the fact that they need a place to get out of the water so that reduces the water volume fast...

so I don't think a 20 gal would work for one of those

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
No you'd need at least a 90 long for a community of mudskippers, and they do need to be in colonies. They're extremely social animals and a small tank is also not ideal because in case you've seen the animal olympics (on discovery channel or animal planet) they can jump up to 4x their body length from a stand still position. They're very good escape artists.

sihen

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2004
Mudskippers help

Hi guys,

Im Dylan from South Africa,
I need some help, last week i bought 2 x Mudskippers, the problem im having is the 2 mudskippers hate each other, the one seems to always go for the other and the other is hiding away and doesnt look happy. its eyes have gone look blood shot,

Iv got a tank that is half full with water, half the tank has place for them to go out of the water but once again the problem comes into play that as soon as both are out the water the one goes for the other.

Dylan

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
read what I said above, they need large, long aquaria to provide the space they need to subside aggression. Each fish needs about 20-30 gallons of water. They're messy and VERY territorial.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
They are VERY messy eaters are should be kept in a 30-50 gallon BREEDER tank since it is much wider than it is tall and is much shorter, but the width compensates for that. Get 1 or 2 or 3! Get some crabs, too since they are ideal tankmates and can be eaten my the mudskippers as a treat...if you get crabs, TAKE OFF THE CLAWS! there...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store