Quick Cure for Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jorl Dagger

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
Madison, WI
I am new to the hobby and I have encountered what appears to be the symtoms of ich on a swordtail I purchased 5 days ago. I am using Quick Cure (Aquarium Products Brand). I took out my charcoal and have already done 2 daily doses, 20 drops for my 20 gallon tank. Then, I began reading some websites that insist on running the medication at least 14 days (full lifecycle of the parasite), though the package instructions suggests only 3 treatments. Anyone out there have experience with this product on how to get it to work with the best results?

pisces22

AC Members
Aug 1, 2004
Ontario,Canada eh?
Visit site
Ich problems

Hey Hey Im new to the hobby and I found myself in the same boat as you, luckily, this forum will help you out. I actually have a 21 gallon aswell, and I removed the charcoal in my filter and went out and bought an ich medication called "Nox-ich" whhich also said to treat for three days. WRONG!!! lol First off, if you have any scaleless fish in your tank, like tetras, you have to be careful because the ich medications will kill them (I know from experience). Secondly, I would listen to the pros on this forum, which will be responding to your post soon, stop with the store medication and go with the salt cure. You're supposed to raise the temperature to 85F, and add 1-3 teaspoons of salt (table salt is fine apparently) for every gallon. The raised temp will speed up the ich parasites life cycle, and the reason to treat two weeks is because the dreaded ich parasite has three stages; one where its burrowed into ur fish and gorging itself, onw where it settles to the bottom(full) and has a lil protective case and starts multiplying, and then when it releases into the water, lookin for another host-the final stage is the only stage in which the ich parasites are vulnerable to the salt, and thats why u want to treat for two weeks, to make sure you have killed all the parasites. This is what I have learned from this forum because my new tank was devastaed by ich, and I dont want it to happen to anyone else lol! The experienced people on this forum will give you exact instructions, and you may want to give them more info on your tank-like the other fish occupants, the curent temp, how you cycled ect. Good luck!!!And I hope you're swordtail recovers (theyre so cute!!)

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
You can find this article linked on many ICH posts throughout the boards, It is a good one and well worth the read time. As it will tell you, meds are not bad but there are other less stressful options, and in no case is a 3 day treatment enough. With elevated temperature, 14 days is a sure bet at getting the job done, Less may be enough, but like overkill. definately read the post referenced above if you have time also.
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/ich.shtml
Good luck, and keep us posted if you have questions.
Dave

Jorl Dagger

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
Madison, WI
I have turned my tempurature up to around 85 and will turn it up a few more degrees tomorrow to see if that will help. Since my tank has Mollies and Swordtails, I was instructed that they prefer some salt in their water, so it already has 4 tablespoons of sea salt (for 20 gallons) added for that reason. Will that amount of salt be sufficient to help with the Ich problem?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store