Need Help (noob)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marky100

AC Members
Sep 1, 2004
Hi,this is my problem.
I have a 90 litre tank and it has been running since christmas.Up until two weeks ago all i had in there was one fantail and a large black moor.I thought they looked abit lonely in the tank so I got a small black moore and a very small koi for company.I introduced them ok and everything seemed fine up untill yesterday.I first noticed a change in the fantail(he`s about 1 and a half years old).He started to get slower and just lies on the bottom.the only time he moves is when I open a drawer and the tank which he thinks is feeding time as thats where I keep their food.Then today the black moore is doing the same thing.I have just come home from work and found the koi lying there too.The small black moore seems ok but he gasps at the surface alot.After further investigation I can see alot of white dots on the small fantail and large black moore and just 3 on the small blackmoore.The koi doent appear to have any dots but then again his skin is white so I probably cant see them.So,I`m guessing that one of the new fish brought ick to my tank?I have just changed 50% of the water.I read a little about introducing salt?This could be a really stupid question but will table salt do?
Please help I love these little guys.

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Table salt will work fine I use Mortons Iodized salt, the iodide isn't needed, but it's what I have and the iodide levels won't hurt anything , What is your tank temp, and what are your ammonia and nitrite levels. You may have ammonia and nitrite issues as well, after the new additions. For ich it is far better to elevate tank temps to around 86*f, but you are dealing with coldwater fish so you will want to really up the O2 levels if you raise the temp. Riase the salt level to 1-3 teaspoons per gallon (I always target 2), and keep it there for a full week ofter the last white spot dissapears off of your fish.If you are unable to or don't want to raise the temp, treatment will take much longer. Read this article for more detail and info.
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/ich.shtml
HTH
Dave

Marky100

AC Members
Sep 1, 2004
Thanks for helping me :).
I just keep the tank at room temperature out of sunlight and away from the radiators so its at about 65 degrees at the moment.I do have a tropical heater I can use to rise temperatures but I dont understand when you say about raising o2 level.

I don`t know if its relevant but I cycle the water as follows.Every week 10% change then once a month 25% with a gravel sucker to remove water from the bottom of the tank.I have a fluval 2 filter.
Once again thanks for helping

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Essentially warmer water carries less oxygen, most coldwater fish are coldwater fish because they need/prefer the higher oxygen levels that coldwater allows. If you heat the tank up, you will need to increase surface agitation/ current etc. to increase the oxygen exchange and allow more O@ for your fish. 65* is pretty low for ICH, I imagine the life cycle is quite slow at that temp, and you will definately want to slowly raise the temp if you can. It could take months for Ich to complete a cycle at that temp, and I imagine you and your fish won't want to go through a proonged salt treatment.
Dave

Marky100

AC Members
Sep 1, 2004
I have an extra pump and a long airstone I can put in the tank.If I add this to the water will that be ok to up the o2 levels?

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
It will help immensly, a bubble wall or long airstone creates a pretty large surface disruption as well as increasing current.
dave

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Man, what's with the epidemic of Ich lately?

Every other post is about it.

Marky100

AC Members
Sep 1, 2004
Okay,the tank temperature is at 86* and the salt has been added at regular doses over the past day.The fish appear to be ok.They are no longer lying on the bottom,at the moment they seem very energetic.So please correct me if I am wrong but now i wait a week or 3 days after the last white spot goes?Do I need to add medication?

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Wait at least a week after you've seen the last of the Ich.

The raised heating level and added salt is all the medication needed.

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Agreed, a good solid week minimum after all white spots are gone. this is enough time to be sure. Salt and heat are the meds. nothing more necessary.
Dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store