1" Jags with clown loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sman91wing

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Mi
Visit site
I currently have five 1" jaguars and a 1" convict in a 55 with lots of rocky cave areas. I want to get some clown loaches for the tank, would there be any problems between these fish?

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
sman91wing said:
I currently have five 1" jaguars and a 1" convict in a 55 with lots of rocky cave areas. I want to get some clown loaches for the tank, would there be any problems between these fish?
Your biggest problem is that the Jags will quickly get too big for a 55 gallon tank. Clown Loaches hold their own pretty well as long as they are not much smaller than the aggressive fish. I've had them with breeding Midas, Oscars, Jacks, etc., with no problems.

Lazonby

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
TX
Visit site
At the Jags current size, yes, you can keep clowns with them. When they hit maturity, all bets are off. I had a couple jags pair off at about 3", and they had everything in corners. There is a good chance you will have a pair out of the 5 you have. If you keep a lone Jag for the long term, then I feel you can keep clowns with them, given plenty of tank space and places to hide. Clowns are pretty adept at avoiding danger. If you never see them, then chances are, there is a considerable threat to them in the tank.

However, if you do gain a breeding pair, there is nothing you can keep with them. They become insanely aggressive, especially when they realize they can dominate the tank. In any case, I would avoid any fish that can fit in their mouths.

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
if you added CL's how many would work in the 55 gallon? Once they are like 12" or so the tank will be way to small but it will take years. would you get 3-5 to start with?
Just want any opinions I have two 55's and I'd like to get some CL's
N8

750t

AC Members
May 24, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I would start with 3. Ive had 3 for over 2 years now they have grown maybe 1 1/2 inches. Mine are in a 150 with a rd, jd and abused convict. They started in a 45 gal. Adapted to the 150 with ease. Also nobody messes with them. I saw one on an other forum that was 16 years old and only 11 inches. So growth is very slow.

sman91wing

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Mi
Visit site
yeah I was thinking that 3 would be a good number for my 55g. If anything outgrows my tanks, luckily I have a friend who manages a college aquarium with lots of tanks.

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
Clown Loaches are very social and should be kept in groups of three or more. It will take a very long time for them to reach 12". My 7" Clowns have taken more than two years to get that big (from about 2") in a 180 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store