Anenome and Host...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
Just thought i'd share something i thought was funny.....

About two months ago i bought an Atlantic Anenome at the LFS. Picked the largest one in the tank and brought it home.($9.99, the cheap ones) Two weeks later i go to the LFS again to find a clown for my new anenome. Bought a Clarki and he's doing real good. Well, for the past two weeks i've been runing home after work to check if my clown has taken to my anenome yet. No suck luck. Did some reading, and figured i'd just wait.

This morning i tossed some flake in the tank for my two clowns to eat. The Clarki grabbed a big piece of flake and started to feed......the piece of f***ing fake grass and not the anenome.
"What a stupid fish!" I laughed and laughed....all that waiting and rushing home and the clown feeds the grass. nice:D

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
The clown was tank raised........

I think i know where you're headed.....
i did some reading on these fish and anenomies....
i have read different info about tank raised vs. wild and the fishes instincts......

But honestly, in MO, instinct is instinct....my cat was born in someones house and was house raised also....it still goes in the litter box and chases the birds from window to window.

i'm just gonna sit back and hope this fish smartens up.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Different things here. The anemone fish aren't born immune to the stings of an anemone. They develop the immunity as fry. If your fish wasn't raised exposed to an anemone, it has no immunity. Instinct or no, the anemone represents a hostile place to hang out. Cats, on the other hand, learn to use the litter box from the mother or from you. Chasing birds is the same instinct that makes them chase wads of paper--doesn't mean they would kill and eat the bird, it's just a toy. I've had cats raised as barn cats who knew how to hunt for food, and cats that 'hunt' but don't eat what they catch--depends on what their mother taught them.

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
Thank god i have a degree in anenome love.......

i'm gonna teach him my self:D :D :D

i wish.....so you think over time he will adapt.......i hope so....

sand shark

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
michigan
Visit site
info

It has been my experiance that clarki and like most clowns don't realy care for the atlantic or condy anemone. You might want to try a long tentacle or sabae anemone . They seem to be their favorite. Hope this might help.

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=630

thats the pick to my "Haitian Reef Anemone" or "Pink-Tip Condy".

did a little research...

my anenome is pretty big...tenticles are about 1/2" at the mouth and extend out about 5-6"...and thats no fish story.

i bought the Clarki only after reading that link i posted....

I'm just going to wait it out.......although......

There was a saddle back clown in the tank when i bought the anenome....Was at that LFS saturday and it was still there. the owner said he's had him for about 2 months. The saddle will probably jump right in......

thanks for the imput and will enjoy more.

dka

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2010
I have a bubble tip....my Clarks Clown loves it along with my Damsel Domino.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store