Yellow Tang in trouble??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rgordon1979

AC Members
Sep 1, 2004
I am new to keeping marine fish. I have just finished cycling a 30 gallon tank with a very basic setup. I have a whisper power filter, Seaclone 100 protein skimmer, fluorescent lighting (changing that soon), and about 30 lbs of crushed coral and about 6 lbs of live rock. I put a yellow tang in about a week ago and he has been doing great, eating well and pretty active. Tonight I got home and he was shooting around the tank more than normal. I fed him and he ate a normal amount. Is it normal for these fish to dart around and stop suddenly and point their mouth up a little and stir the rocks up with their tail? I know this is a vague question but I am very new to the marine scene. Thanks for any help.

Rob

by the way, salinity is about 1.022, temp is about 77. I am going to get a full water test tomorrow.

valval1029

AC Members
Aug 29, 2004
Sounds like he is itchy. How does he look? Breathing okay, any spots, etc...?
Usually they dart around or scratch against things when they are itchy. I'm not an expert. I'm sure someone else will add more...

rgordon1979

AC Members
Sep 1, 2004
I was thinking the same thing, I don't see any ich, breathing seems a little heavier than normal, but I have not really been looking close enough to figure out what is 'normal'. Thanks for the reply, I will ask my lfs tomorrow what he thinks.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
Tangs are pretty erratic with their swimming. One minute, they can be lazily cruising along, and the next they're shooting all over the place. It's pretty normal.

Valval did have a good point though. Fish do dart around and rub against rock during the first stages of ich. Keep an eye on him, and if you see the white spots show up, treat it immediately.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
not positive but ive been told a 55 gallon tank is too small for tangs, so i would assume that he might not have enough space. how big is it right now?

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
Contray to popular belief...a 55gal. tank is too small for a Tang...let alone a 30gal. No matter if they are juvenile or not.

You need to have a tang in at least a 75gal. tank. Stop before you buy fish...research...find out how big they get when they're full grown. A Tang will reach aprox. 1' when it is full grown.

Especially since you're new to the hobby...the most important thing you can do is to check out a fish before you buy. If you go into a fish store, find a fish that you like...dont buy it for the heck of it. Refrain...go home, look online (at the least) and find out about it. Some fish are more likely to get disease, wont get along with other fish, etc. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store