Do Any of You Keep Live Plants With Plecos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
I've got a N*t Pl*co in with my Wat*rSprit*s, Java F*rn, and Lut*a. I've not had any problems that I could attribute to the Pl*co.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I have 4 ancistrus, one butterfly pulcher, and a chocolate pleco in my planted tank. I have anubias, java moss, african ferns, melon sword, and several bunch plants. Never had any problems with mine, but I also feed veggies and algae/shrimp tabs regularly.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Biggest problem is the bulldozer effect. Plecs tend to swim through things, rather than round them, if they can.

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
Have hanging plants, Amazon Swords. Mostly just placed in a plastic container and is suction-cupped to the tank wall. So far no problems. The pl*cs hide underneath the plants.

Manix

Local Psychopath
Jan 3, 2002
Bristol/TN/USA
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

I'm setting my 20 gallon back up for my Rhino Pleco. I origionally thought I was going to have new carpet put down so I drained the tank early to remove some of the hassle.

The Rhino has been tolerating a 7 gal. shared with a Rubber Lip Pleco. He's done very well in the 7 gal., given his size and lack of space. I added extra filtration and watched the water quality closely to make sure nothing went wrong. Now I can set the 20 back up and give the Rhino the space he needs. He hates sharing territories with the rubber lip...

The Rhino is almost 5in. I will also have my male betta in the same tank. What I have in mind is a setup that resembles my 7 gal., only lightly planted. I can get the slate at a lake near my house, but the driftwood I'll just have to search for.

My problem is, I have never had luck keeping plants. I'm sure I can go to the plant forum for some added help, but I need something simple to start with. I know there's alot of work that goes into keeping a planted tank. I read about C02 injections and other things I've never heard of before. Maybe you could brief me on what to expect...

Thanks for all the help!

Here's a pic of the 7gal.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I have a gibby in my plant tank...he usually doesnt bother the plants unless I forget to feed him his greens:)...then I'll wake up with a bunch of transparent leaves on my sword plant..lol.

koolkatzfish

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
I gave a co worker a hunk of water sprite from my tank, good sized daughter plant and her rhino pl*co thought it was delicious. My bristlenoses and rubber pl*co leave all my plants alone, except to clean the leaves, I have water sprite, sagitaria, amazon sword, and crypts.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I have some small plants growing on my fake plents and he seem to leave them alone. I have no Idea what they are called for I didnt buy them I got the when timmain gave me his pleco and for added air he put some plants. I have a gibbiceps with the plants he leaves them alone unless scavaging for food then ill find them still intact but floating on top of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store