my fish keep dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimbo650

Registered Member
Sep 3, 2004
luton,england
can anybody please help me and my kids. we have got an 18"x10"x10"inch tank with goldfish in. the problem started when we brought bthe fish home from the aquatic store they are lifeless, lie on the bottom and keep dying can any body offer a solution to our problem please. many thanks

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Could be a lot of things from new tank syndrome to fish already sick when you buy them. Have you done any water tests? Ammonia and nitrite are two substances that can kill fish, especially in a new tank, you should have your water tested for these. What is the tank temp? How long has it been set up? How many fish have died?

Dave from scotland
Sep 4, 2004
your gonna need a much bigger tank soon!

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
goldfish need a very large tank to be kept healthy. at least 55g i say. :eek:

do you know anything about cycling a new tank this could have been the problem. when you add a lot of fish straight into a new tank there is no bacteria to help remove the ammonia produced. the ammonia then builds up and its toxic to fish.

this a not even fully grown yet

for your tank i would get a small heater, not very expendsive and get some guupies and platies. they are very easy to look after and breed like mad, this will keep the kids entertain looking for babies in the tank.

shekoi

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
The fish in the picture was the biggest goldfish officially recorded with the Guiness Book of Records. His name was Bruce, a 15 inch long oranda bred by the TungHoi Aquarium in Hong Kong.

Anyway, I agree that 8 gallons isn't enough for one goldfish, let alone 5. Research, research, and research... it is all you can do. At least you care to know the proper information on these fish - kudos to you for that! :cool:

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store