what kind of fish, like convict but not???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoeHox28

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
so i go to the pet store today for nothing special and saw this cichlid i have never seen before so i ask the worker what is was and he said convict, which i know for sure its not but the price for convicts was only 3.00 dollars so i thought i'd pick this fish up. so anyways the fish is small, about a inch and a half long, black stripes like a convict but the head is more sleek, the eyes are bigger then a convicts and it has a big black spot right where the tail fin meets the body. the fish is still small so i have no idea if the colors will change, but its not african thats for sure. the only fish i can think of is a barred midas. i can't post pics so sorry but anyone know or have an idea, and like i said, i'm positive its not a convict.

BumbleFish

AC Members
Aug 16, 2003
Visit site
Could be anything. If they said its a convict, I'd go with that assumption. Without photos its impossible to even hazard a guess.l

Purchasing a fish without being certain of its genus is a very risky business.

Good luck!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I'm no genious on SA or CA cichlids... but its good your challenging the pet store's labelling. I have seen my fair share of improperly labeled fish.

As for a guess... could it possibly be a hybrid? I'm not sure what a convict would mate with though. ;)

~*LuvMyKribs*~ said:
I'm no genious on SA or CA cichlids... but its good your challenging the pet store's labelling. I have seen my fair share of improperly labeled fish.

As for a guess... could it possibly be a hybrid? I'm not sure what a convict would mate with though. ;)
More like what wouldnt a convict mate with, I have seen at least 10 different hybrids where cons were involved.

Its maybe a jade eye cichlid or Tbar, both are closely related to cons.

Jade eye

T bar

JoeHox28

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Minnesota
Visit site
once again, i have had many convicts in my life and i am 100 % positive it's not a convict. the lfs worker was a idiot, he thought it was a GT because it was in a tank with GTs and then i said i thought it looked like a con and he was like oh yeah its a con, i'm positive so i basically stopped listening at that point. but anyways its very small so you're right it could be anything but nothing that i've seen. i can tell thats its nothing common(JD, GT, Jag, Con, etc...) it kinda looks like my rd looked like when it was young but when i got my rd it was 3 in. not 1 1/2 so i dont know but i think its something like that. oh by the way when i got my rd(which is now 9 in) it had stripes and no color until it was about 5 in but i've seen smaller rd that had their color at alot smaller size so i thought it was a barred midas but it turned out orange. just wondering if anyone elses rd did the samething and why this might be? but yeah without pics its impossible to determine what it is so i guess i'll just have to wait and see. oh by the way its not a tilapia buttikoferi.

has anyone had trimac, rd, midas, etc fry that kinda looked like convicts at the one inch size?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store