Convict Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
Picked up a Convict, today, when I went shopping for more live rock and lace rock. Cool little guy, abour 4" long with great color. Only parted with $37 for him...not bad, I thought.

Anyway...brought him home, with 100 more lbs. of lace rock. I was worried about how my Scopas Tang was gonna take to him, so I plan on rearranging rock (doing that now). It was funny to watch...when I put the Convict in...he ate a little (mysis and marine flakes) and then decided to check out the Scopas's little home. Wang (my Scopas) didnt like that very much. I figured he'd bite...but no, he pushed his little butt against the Convict and started beating him with his tail. Funniest thing to watch...there they were, battling it out...butts together, hitting each other with their tails.

Hopefully after I mess up everyones homes and rearrange things, everyone will be alright. Just thought I'd share. :laugh:

EDIT Well, after rearranging all the rock, and adding another 100lbs, my tank looks a million times better. Everyone's happy now...the Convict has taken up residence in a new cave I made, and now he's the one kicking the Scopas out. Oh yeah...if anyone has problems with bristle or fire worms, buy a Red Coris Wrasse. I lifted up the biggest piece of rock that I have and there were 5 under there (the biggest being 3" long or so). The Coris made quick work of them, as soon as he saw them. He ate every single one of them. Good fish!

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Just a point---tangs have scalpels (hence their designation as surgeon fish) on both sides of the caudal peduncle (the body area just before their tail). These little knives are very sharp and are used for attacking intruders and defense. They can be very nasty--on a juvenile/young fish, they won't be much, but as the fish ages, they will grow as well and can inflict serious damage.

I don't want anything that eats my bristleworms--they are good detrivores!

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
Yeah, I found out the scalpal thing, last night, after some more research. I always wondered what that little white spot was just before the tail of my Scopas. New things learned everyday. Well, day 2 and they're both getting along just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store